Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Starting up, need suggestions. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/starting-up-need-suggestions-145786/)

udderlydesigned 04-05-2013 10:09 AM

Starting up, need suggestions.

Hello, so I am new to the world of fish and aquariums, up to this point I only ever had goldfish in bowls. I now have a 10 gallon tank with lots of fake plants because my real ones haven't sprouted yet. I have one blue gourami (~1") and one dwarf gourami (~1.5"). I got them because the info at the store said they could live together. I also had a pleco (~2"). I went away for a weekend and left a weekend feeder with them, I came back, the feeder had not been touched and my pleco was GONE!!! I'm worried these two are not going to last together. I really wanted a few more fish but now I am scarred to put anything else in with them. What should I do?

SeaHorse 04-05-2013 10:19 AM

I have created a thread just for you! Welcome to TFK!!

Could it have jumped out? Did you look all around? How long has this new tank been up and running and do you know if it has fully cycled? i.e. using a testing kit for Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAtes?

udderlydesigned 04-05-2013 10:22 AM

I have a hood, there is now way it could have jumped out, and I looked everywhere. I found what looked like a very small bone. The tank has been up for about 3 and a half weeks. I have not tested it as of yet. I am looking to do that this weekend.

SeaHorse 04-05-2013 11:02 AM

Because your tank is very young and has not gone thru a cycle yet, it can take 6-8 weeks, any fish in your tank are going to be as risk from building Ammonia and NitrIte levels. These can cause death and any dead fish that are not removed and decay on their own, (this happens VERY fast) will also cause an ammonia spike. Without an abundance of live plants the only way thru the 2 stages is daily water changes especially if you have no way of testing your water. And at 3 weeks and a missing Pleco I would definitely say you have had an Ammonia spike. If you have "Prime" de-chlorinator it is excellent at neutralizing the bad while the cycle progresses. It is a bit more expensive but you use a tiny amount! one cap = 50 gallons.
Have you read?: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
This will help you to understand what is going on.
I also want you to look up the 2 Gourami species, Blue Gourami (Trichopodus trichopterus) Profile, Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius) Profile to see what their minimum tank sizes should be. We have Profiles in the bar along the top or just click the link. I think you will find the Blue is going to get too big and really needs more room. If your Pleco was a "common" then he would have grown to poss 24 inches. A Bristlenose Pleco stays smaller but I'm not sure a 10 is big enough for him either. Eventually 2-3 Oto Catfish (Otocinclus macrospilus) Profile would work better but you will need an established tank and some Algae growth. Don't get a Siamese or Chinese Algae eater, they get aggressive when they grow bigger and are not suitable for a 10 gal either.
Anyway, I'm really glad you posted a thread! There is lots to learn and we have all made all the same mistakes in our fish careers! Just keep learning and try not to make the same mistakes twice. And past any and all questions you may have!! We love to help... and love pics of the tank too!!
When your budget allows for it, pick up an API Freshwater test kit.

udderlydesigned 04-05-2013 11:09 AM

Thanks so much. And yes I have read the profiles. I just don't know where I would go with the blue, I don't have another tank. I have also been using stress coat (the recommended amount for my tank size). I am currently charging my camera battery and will post pics soon!

SeaHorse 04-05-2013 11:40 AM

Just be aware that any aggression is a "symptom" of too little space/territory. So if Blue picks on Dwarf... that is the reason, not to mention size difference.
Looking forward to pics!

MoneyMitch 04-05-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udderlydesigned (Post 1653650)
Thanks so much. And yes I have read the profiles. I just don't know where I would go with the blue, I don't have another tank. I have also been using stress coat (the recommended amount for my tank size). I am currently charging my camera battery and will post pics soon!

n the past ive been able to trade fish on craigslist for other fish that I need. maybe try there or talk to the LFS you got them from and explain the situation they may take him and excahgne for diff fish?