Tropical Fish Keeping banner

How Should I Plant Dwarf Baby Tears ?

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  fish monger 
#1 ·
Recently purchased dwarf baby tears that were attached to lava rock. They are starting to come off of the rocks and I was wondering what the best method of planting in a sand substrate would be. They are such tiny stem plants and I don't want to cause undue damage. Thanks.

#3 ·
I looked at these in the LFS last time out, I always wanted some but, when I saw them at the store, they were in a separate tank that had far more light than the rest of the plants. I thought better of them due to that.

I didn't think of floating them though... good idea. They might make a great addition to my jug.

Jeff.

#8 ·
I grow mine emmersed with your run of the mill T8 lighting :)
it grows well emmersed under all sorts of lighting situations, in lower light, it simply stops hugging the substrate and grows a little higher and fluffier

Many of these demanding "aquatic plants" dont spend much of their time under water in the wild. therefore the conditions for long term underwater growth would need to be as similar to terrestial conditions as possiblr.

#10 ·
My lighting isn't high tech bright by any stretch of the imagination. The plants were in a 55 with two 6700K daylight T8 tubes and a 20 tall with two 14W CFLs. The plants in the 20 have done the best and I think they would still be attached to the rock if the damnable platys weren't constantly picking at them. They are a nice bright green; however, they have gotten taller and fluffier as you mentioned. I tend to underestimate what bright light means. High output lighting scares me. Guess I would rather be limited in the plant area and have a little more leeway in the overall picture. For example, I'll probably always strive to have at least one nicely planted tank (probably a medium sized 20-30 gallon); however, I could see the 55 turning into a blood red parrot tank. It all depends on how well I do with the plants in that tank over the next several months. It would be planted with tough anubias and javas if I went the blood red route.

#12 ·
Yeah, but I'm stubborn I guess. I bought them to be a substrate plant that would eventually carpet the tanks. Stupid me. I really wasn't thinking when I ordered that last batch of plants. All but the tiger lotus plants required brighter light than I could provide. The tiger lotus are doing great and have put up several lily pads. I'm going to prune those off though because I really don't have room for flowers and I want to keep them as a bushy submersed plant. Also, the lily pads block the light. I would highly suggest the tiger lotus for larger tanks. The leaves are very large and interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.