Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   How Should I Plant Dwarf Baby Tears ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-should-i-plant-dwarf-baby-145738/)

fish monger 04-05-2013 08:16 AM

How Should I Plant Dwarf Baby Tears ?

Recently purchased dwarf baby tears that were attached to lava rock. They are starting to come off of the rocks and I was wondering what the best method of planting in a sand substrate would be. They are such tiny stem plants and I don't want to cause undue damage. Thanks.

ao 04-05-2013 09:47 AM

hows the lighting in your tank? HC like all other plants will detatch when the environment isnt ideal. If your lighting isn't high, I'd recommend detatching the HC and letting it float in a little cloud in a place with minimal current

JDM 04-05-2013 11:19 AM

I looked at these in the LFS last time out, I always wanted some but, when I saw them at the store, they were in a separate tank that had far more light than the rest of the plants. I thought better of them due to that.

I didn't think of floating them though... good idea. They might make a great addition to my jug.

Jeff.

ao 04-05-2013 01:20 PM

HC is rather demanding. preferring highlight and CO2 injection ^__^ highly NON recommended for low tech tanks :P

MoneyMitch 04-05-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aokashi (Post 1654354)
HC is rather demanding. preferring highlight and CO2 injection ^__^ highly NON recommended for low tech tanks :P

ive tried this stuff many times with no success, tried it floating and underwater and in my current tank with my high lighting still no success. gunna have to side with aokashi here with a no no for low tech.

JDM 04-05-2013 02:16 PM

What about emmersed with sunlight?

Jeff.

MoneyMitch 04-05-2013 02:31 PM

cant say I have tried that

ao 04-05-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1654994)
What about emmersed with sunlight?

Jeff.

I grow mine emmersed with your run of the mill T8 lighting :)
it grows well emmersed under all sorts of lighting situations, in lower light, it simply stops hugging the substrate and grows a little higher and fluffier

Many of these demanding "aquatic plants" dont spend much of their time under water in the wild. therefore the conditions for long term underwater growth would need to be as similar to terrestial conditions as possiblr.

JDM 04-05-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aokashi (Post 1655490)
I grow mine emmersed with your run of the mill T8 lighting :)
it grows well emmersed under all sorts of lighting situations, in lower light, it simply stops hugging the substrate and grows a little higher and fluffier

Many of these demanding "aquatic plants" dont spend much of their time under water in the wild. therefore the conditions for long term underwater growth would need to be as similar to terrestial conditions as possiblr.

Makes sense, reaching for the light.

I might give them a try then... I need another challenge.

Jeff.

fish monger 04-05-2013 04:07 PM

My lighting isn't high tech bright by any stretch of the imagination. The plants were in a 55 with two 6700K daylight T8 tubes and a 20 tall with two 14W CFLs. The plants in the 20 have done the best and I think they would still be attached to the rock if the damnable platys weren't constantly picking at them. They are a nice bright green; however, they have gotten taller and fluffier as you mentioned. I tend to underestimate what bright light means. High output lighting scares me. Guess I would rather be limited in the plant area and have a little more leeway in the overall picture. For example, I'll probably always strive to have at least one nicely planted tank (probably a medium sized 20-30 gallon); however, I could see the 55 turning into a blood red parrot tank. It all depends on how well I do with the plants in that tank over the next several months. It would be planted with tough anubias and javas if I went the blood red route.