Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Weird Ammonia reading, need help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/weird-ammonia-reading-need-help-14534/)

Neon1 05-09-2008 09:08 AM

Weird Ammonia reading, need help!

Here is the setting:

10g freshwater tank.
Whisper power filter 10.
Tank established one week ago today.

7-glowlight tetras
1-yoyo loach
1-ghost shrimp.

Did about a 30% water change on Monday. Water has been and is presently crystal clear, looks good enough to drink.

Wednesday, about 30 minutes after I fed the fish, I did a liquid water test with API's kit and got about .5ppm ammonia to show up. I attributed this to testing the water shortly after feeding.

Thursday, (without thinking) I pulled the filter cartridge out to check it and noticed that some particles spilled out into the water when I did so. Not much. I slid the cartridge back in and again about 30 minutes later I did an ammonia test. This time it showed up at 1ppm.

Was is it due to the pulling of the cartridge letting junk in the water. If not I don't understand how my ammonia can be so high when I just did a change three days ago.

The fish all look fine. They don't look sick. They are alert and eating and swimming about, especially the yo yo loach (active little critter).

I just find it odd that in an esablished tank that I would begin to get ammonia readings only 3 days after a water change. You should start getting first signs of ammonia at day 5 with a water change coming every 5-7 days.

What's going on?

Blaxicanlatino 05-09-2008 01:37 PM

you put WAY too many fish in at once and the tank isnt even cycled yet.

Neon1 05-09-2008 03:22 PM

no, no my tank is cycled what i meant by established is that my tank is done it ready to go it was done a week ago. i had three fish on friday when it finished cycling i added four more for a total of 7 waited 24hrs and added a loach and a shrimp

at that time it was monday and i did a 30%water change my ammonia has steadily increased all while the water looks perfect and the fish look fine, no signs of sickness. i don't know why my ammonia would increase so much after doing a 30% water change?

basically if it was not for a water test you cant tell that there is a problem the water looks good enough to drink the fish are all good and fine. could this be a mini cycle?

fish_4_all 05-09-2008 03:45 PM

Ah, adding too many fish too fast. I have 10 gallon tanks, adding more 2 fish at a time has given me an ammonia spike every time.

How did you cycle the tank? Is good to know to try and figure out another ammonia source. When you do a water change do you gravel vac? If you don't then food and fish waste is decomposing in the substrate and producing ammonia and nitrites.

The stuff coming out of the filter did not cause this or at least I have never heard of it. I lose a lot of little particles when I rinse my sponges weekly and it has never caused an ammonia spike.

Neon1 05-09-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Ah, adding too many fish too fast. I have 10 gallon tanks, adding more 2 fish at a time has given me an ammonia spike every time.

How did you cycle the tank? Is good to know to try and figure out another ammonia source. When you do a water change do you gravel vac? If you don't then food and fish waste is decomposing in the substrate and producing ammonia and nitrites.

The stuff coming out of the filter did not cause this or at least I have never heard of it. I lose a lot of little particles when I rinse my sponges weekly and it has never caused an ammonia spike.

1) I cycled the tank with two glow light tetras.
2) I do use a gravel vac.
3) Glad to know adding more than two fish for you in your 10 gallon tank will give you an ammonia spike.

I went from 2 fish to 9 in 48hrs. So that is more than likely the reason why my ammonia has spiked. I will do small water changes to allow the bacteria to bloom and catch up.
Thanks,

fish_4_all 05-09-2008 05:49 PM

Done it myself so don't feel bad.

Neon1 05-09-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Done it myself so don't feel bad.

UPDATE: came home just now planning to do a slight water change and I did a test first. The ammonia jumped again...2ppm and pushing 3. (It was slightly darker than 2 but not quite 4.)

I proceeded to do about 45% water change (I changed a shade under 5 gallons). It ws too high for me to rest well doing just a small change.
The water then tested out to 1ppm (I plan on doing about another change tomorrow, 25-30%)

But here is what I found: I gravel vacumed alot....I MEAN ALOT OF WASTE... from the bottom. Some was food, but the vast majority was fish waste. I was shocked at how much fish waste was there from Tuesday through today. I tend to over feed just a bit to ensure some flakes reach the bottom for the ghost shrimp and the loach. The Glowlights don't let anything reach the bottom, so I feed them until they stop eating and then put some more so it reaches the bottom. They get most of it. I didn't vacume up any where near the ammount of fish waste there was.

Did this happen because I added so many at once? The tank finished cycling on Friday last week. At that time I had 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and just under 5ppm Nitrates. I added 3 more glowlights to go with the scout glowlights I had to cycle the tank for a total of 5. The next day I added two more for a total of 7, and the next day (SUnday) I added the loach and the ghost shrimp.
Was this too much in such a short time? More than likely what caused this ammonia spike and all the waste?

Flashygrrl 05-09-2008 06:21 PM

You may wish to use a turkey baster to "target feed" the bottom dwellers instead of having to feed the others that much food. Before this, when was the last time you did a gravel vac...danios (that's what glolights really are) are kinda messy and you have a lot of them :)

Neon1 05-09-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
You may wish to use a turkey baster to "target feed" the bottom dwellers instead of having to feed the others that much food. Before this, when was the last time you did a gravel vac...danios (that's what glolights really are) are kinda messy and you have a lot of them :)

No, there aren't glowfish. They are Glolw ight Tetras. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glowlight_tetra

I gravel vacume everytime I do a water change. Everytime. The decorations come out, and I run the siphon through the gravel. That is why I was so shocked at all the waste.

I think I may buy the sinking pellets for the bottom feeders and keep the flakes for the Tetras.

Flashygrrl 05-09-2008 09:32 PM

LOL, ooops :) I do actually know the difference, my ADD kicked in at the wrong time...uuuuuugh.