Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Bakpak 2 reef ready (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/bakpak-2-reef-ready-14525/)

thinhthan 05-09-2008 12:37 AM

Bakpak 2 reef ready

is the Bakpak 2 reef ready a good skimmer?

Pasfur 05-09-2008 07:05 AM

For a 55 gallon the CPR is on the bare minimum of adequate. The purchase of the surface-skimmer is also mandatory for these units. Many many hobbyists would tell you that the CPR is to small for a 55. I feel that you can overcome this weakness with proper stocking of fish and heavy use of activated carbon.

jumpman23 06-03-2008 05:08 AM

Any picture of u using it and assess it? or just guess or seeing other using one?

Pasfur 06-03-2008 07:17 PM

I have not used the unit at home, but at home use is not necessary to judge a skimmer. I have seen the unit running on aquariums no less than several dozen times. Its popularity is due to its low price and great marketing.

The primary drawback is simply the design of the unit. It is a simple venturi driven countercurrent skimmer, with a below average almost surface skimming add-on. This is one of the oldest skimming designs, and the simple construction of the unit makes it easy to make and affordable to mass produce.

The performance is limited by the low quality of the surface skimmer, the limited contact time of bubbles to water, the restricted output of the collection cup, the poor design of the collection cup as a whole (including placement and size), and the limit of the venturi.

However, any counter current skimmer with sufficient contact height, a maxi jet venturi, and any type of surface skimming is going to be capable of handling a 29 to 38 gallon aquarium successfully and a 55 gallon aquarium with proper "handling".

With a little bit of experience it becomes easy to rate a protein skimmer, especially when you have the benefit of seeing them in action.

jumpman23 06-03-2008 07:42 PM

So which brand u using? any photos?

Pasfur 06-04-2008 06:54 AM

I am currently using an old SeaClone knock-off which is no longer available. I've had it so long I can't even recall the brand name. It is a simple venturi driven counter-current hang on skimmer, which i modified to also include an air-driven wooden airstone. However, the collection cup has no restrictions on the output, the water flow has an adjustable output allowing me to regulate the quality of the foam, and the diameter of the reaction chamber is much larger that what you see offered on most hang on units today. This is on a 37 gallon tank.

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. My system is not "the best." However, i have over 20 years experience and can probably do things that a newer hobbyist would be ill advised to do. I would encourage you to spend as much as your budget will allow on a skimmer. There are many excellent options available today on e-bay that are affordable. I would consider the Coralife Needle Wheel hang-on skimmer to be one of the best options seen regularly. The Sea-Clone models are also easy to use and efficient on smaller aquariums, say under 75 gallons.