Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Stocking my 100 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-my-100-gallon-14455/)

boffuss 05-07-2008 01:03 PM

Stocking my 100 gallon

Hey everyone,

i just got a 100 gallon tank. it cam with a rather large jack dempsey who is relatively mild tempered. he is about 6 or 7 inches. i have put in a young electric blue jack dempsey, two young tiger oscars (1 albino ), and a pleco. The tank still feels empty i know the new baby fish will grow but i would like to find a few more fish i can add. Any ideas? i was thinking a green terror but i am worried about my young electric blue, he is only about an inch and a half. Whaddya think??

1077 05-07-2008 01:17 PM

Maybe it would be best to give it a couple weeks. It very well could be that Jack dempsey is merely biding his or her time and will eliminate those it perceives as competition for food. I love the electric blue dempseys and would be EXTREMELY nervous abot it's chances of reaching two inches. :shock:

okiemavis 05-07-2008 06:05 PM

Well, I'd say that depends somewhat on your filtration. You're going to want something pretty heavy duty for those guys. It also depends on your decorations, how much territory each can claim. Another factor is whether or not you will move some of these fish out when they get older. Obviously you can stock more fish if they will be moved out once they get too large.

I'd recommend adding a cool catfish to the bottom. There are some great ones that will get along well with your fish, which you couldn't get away with in a smaller tank. Obviously you want to get it small so it's mouth will grow along with your jack, but there are some very interesting ones. Personally, I've been dying for a Raphael Catfish.

You could also try something like a knife fish, or a birchir. I'm not totally sure how they would get along, but I think they would go well with your cichlids.

iamntbatman 05-07-2008 08:37 PM

Good tankmates for big cichlids like that are synodontis and distochodus. A syno can definitely hold its own against larger cichlids, and distos get pretty large themselves and can be aggressive in their own right. Some people also keep tin foil barbs with SA cichlids with success. Keep in mind that all of these fish get pretty big, so even with only a few you're looking at an overcrowded tank with the four big cichlids and pretty much anything else.

boffuss 05-09-2008 10:26 AM

Pics of the fish and tank

Hey,

Here are the pics of the tank and the fish. It has been almost two weeks and the large jack hasnt killed anyone. Also to answer the filter question, I have a 5 gallon sump. Does that help? I was thinking of adding a 5 inch green terror on Sunday. Think that would be too much?