Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help me to stock my 14 gallon plz (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-me-stock-my-14-gallon-144138/)

Juicebox 04-03-2013 05:02 PM

Help me to stock my 14 gallon plz

hey guys, i have a dirted 14 gallon tank,its heavily planted,duckweed,swords,anubias,java moss,rotala,moss balls,dwarf water lettuce,hornworth,java ferns,water lilly

ive recently moved my female bettas out of it and im lookin to stock it with more fish.. currently i have some ghost shrimp and some assasin / pond snails in the tank..

any nice size fish i can put in here and possibly get them breeding?or id make it a community also,im not sure yet.i have another tank for guppies so im not really interested in puttin them in this 14gallon..

im interested in tiger barbs and the german rams and some of the gouramis.,im also interested in angelfish but this tank is too small for angels,i do get some algea on the glass and other places so maybe an algea eater?

can anyone give me some good advice to some fish that are suited to a 14 gallon

lookin forward to your advice on what i could put in here

Byron 04-03-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicebox (Post 1634114)
hey guys, i have a dirted 14 gallon tank,its heavily planted,duckweed,swords,anubias,java moss,rotala,moss balls,dwarf water lettuce,hornworth,java ferns,water lilly

ive recently moved my female bettas out of it and im lookin to stock it with more fish.. currently i have some ghost shrimp and some assasin / pond snails in the tank..

any nice size fish i can put in here and possibly get them breeding?or id make it a community also,im not sure yet.i have another tank for guppies so im not really interested in puttin them in this 14gallon..

im interested in tiger barbs and the german rams and some of the gouramis.,im also interested in angelfish but this tank is too small for angels,i do get some algea on the glass and other places so maybe an algea eater?

can anyone give me some good advice to some fish that are suited to a 14 gallon

lookin forward to your advice on what i could put in here

First a question: what are your water parameters, meaning GH (general hardness) and pH? There are many suitable fish for smaller tanks but many will be wild caught so attention to water is important.

Byron.

Juicebox 04-03-2013 05:42 PM

hi, thanks for the reply,my ph is around 6.6 - 6.8 . i have the liquid master test kit,ive no idea what my gh is, ill probly have to go to petco and buy a gh testing kit. but to my knowledge my water is not very hard,i did get it tested about 4 months ago in a local pet store and the guy told me i had soft water..

Juicebox 04-03-2013 05:43 PM

actually now that i think of it ,maybe he didnt say the word soft,he possibly just saud,your water hardness is ok,your water is good , i know that he told me the water was not hard

JDM 04-03-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicebox (Post 1634714)
actually now that i think of it ,maybe he didnt say the word soft,he possibly just saud,your water hardness is ok,your water is good , i know that he told me the water was not hard

Sadly they will tell you it is fine, they just want you to buy product. You need the numbers and a test kit is pretty cheap or, if you are on city water, just call the utility or check their website, it's probably listed there, that will get you close.

Jeff.

Byron 04-03-2013 07:59 PM

Yes, save your money and contact the municipal water supply folks, probably on their website the water data posted will include GH. If you can't figure it out, post the link and one of us can take a look.

I will for the moment assume "soft" as the pH at slightly acidic would tend to suggest this though we still need the number for certain. But among soft water fish you have a large choice that are suitable to a smallish (14g) tank. Angelfish are out as you realize. Tiger Barb will not work either [click the shaded name for the profile which will explain why]. Gourami could be one of the smaller sized species which are rarer and being wild caught will be fine in soft acidic water. We have some in our Anabantids section in the profiles. You could mamage a small South American dwarf cichlid, some of them anyway, we can discuss these later if interested.

But for other ideas, browse the Cyprinids and Characins sections, also Catfish. There are several miniature species in all of these. You are basically looking for quiet as opposed to active fish, suited to a still pond or lagoon in a small stream. These types of forest fish manage better in smaller spaces because they do not swim much, but just cruise among plants and branches.

Byron.

JDM 04-03-2013 09:05 PM

Interestingly, I checked with our local utility for the office and they list EVERYTHING other than the GH on their site.

Jeff.

Byron 04-04-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1637386)
Interestingly, I checked with our local utility for the office and they list EVERYTHING other than the GH on their site.

Jeff.

Sometimes you can work it out from other data, like Calcium, magnesium, total dissolved solids. Enough to give one a fair idea.

JDM 04-04-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1642154)
Sometimes you can work it out from other data, like Calcium, magnesium, total dissolved solids. Enough to give one a fair idea.

I could have done that but I was mainly curious as to what someone might see if they went looking, we suggest doing just that all the time.... if ANYONE gets onto our water supply site they would be baffled, I even had to do some online loop de loops to find the report.... and it was from 2011. I could have called I suppose.

I just tested it instead..

Jeff.