Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-144050/)

trahan99 04-03-2013 04:35 PM

Hello!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! I just joined this website, and I've been looking around at other people's aquariums and I thought that they were awesome! A lot even better than mine! Be sure to check out pictures of my freshwater aquarium! ;-)

Friesian Fish 04-03-2013 04:37 PM

Oh yeah me too I just signed up!
This computer doesn't have any pictures, but my tank is 5 gallons and harbors two healthy fantail goldfish.
Too bad this is site is meant for tropical fish! Oh well, my brother has a Betta, that should count.

SeaHorse 04-03-2013 04:48 PM

Welcome both of you to TFK. We're glad you found us. Both Bettas and Goldfish are welcome.
(you do know that those 2 goldfish are going to need more space than 5 gallon right?)

Friesian Fish 04-03-2013 04:53 PM

Yeah I'm glad I found this site too!

Yep, I know goldfish need more than 5 gallons...but I'm a kid, and those tanks are expensive and are just too big. I do sports (figure skating, soccer, and tennis), and mostly they're on the weekends, so something bigger would be just too much.
They actually lived in a 2 1/2 gallon tank for two years until about a week or so ago.... :(
But, thankfully, fantails only grow as large as is suitable for the size of tank they're in. They only grew a little in their old 2 1/2 gallon tank, but now, they seem like they've grown in the 5 gallon tank! :D

SeaHorse 04-03-2013 07:00 PM

Well we're glad you joined us. There is lots to learn! I'm glad you upgraded them from the 2.5. Wow that is small. I remember the days when people kept goldfish in a round bowl on a table. They can grow SO big! Ever heard of Bruce? Google "Bruce the Goldfish"... he's 14 INCHES long!

Trahan99: Great looking tank! Love the Aligator! Will you be adding some rock or more plants for hiding spaces? Don't forget to add fertilizer at least once a week and check out your light bulbs to make sure they are suitable for live plants.

Romad 04-03-2013 09:27 PM

Hello and welcome to both of you :wave:

Friesian Fish 04-04-2013 04:07 PM

Jackiebabie,
Yeah, I know 2.5 is TINY!
No, I've never heard of Bruce...WOW 14 inches?! I read somewhere that one Goldfish lived for over 30 years! But I'm not sure if it's true.

trahan99 04-05-2013 07:06 AM

Yeah, i do want to get some fertilizer, but my led lights don't help promote plant growth. I do, though, have a window with the sun rising on its side. The plant is the closest it can be to the sun because before I bought the kit, I did some research on the lights and I found out that they dont promote plant growth. Do you know of anything else I can do to help my live plants? Oh, and also, I have another bulb growing on the opposite corner, should I move it closer to the sun? Is the sun a good idea to promote live plants? I heard that the sun might help grow algea... Thanks!

trahan99 04-05-2013 07:13 AM

African Cichlid Hole in Head

Also, my african cichlid, im pretty sure, has hole in the head. I have no idea how to cure it. I've tried looking it up online, but I couldn't find anything helpful. Do you think you can help me? It looks pretty bad because it is really big and is going concave at least 2 millimeters. :cry:

Friesian Fish 04-05-2013 05:53 PM

:O That's terrible trahan99!
I don't know what you should do. Maybe just be sure to at least keep his water clean; I don't really know because I just raise Goldfish and Bettas. :(