Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Feeding: Betta Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/feeding-betta-fish-144042/)

Friesian Fish 04-03-2013 03:26 PM

Feeding: Betta Fish

Hello.
My brother's Betta fish (a male) stopped eating his food a while back (Betta pellets). After he didn't eat his food for a week or so, I started crushing his food on the food lid and then putting it right above wherever he was in the tank, and he started eating (not to much though) again.
Why did he start eating AFTER I crushed his food? Was it because his water's a little cold, and tropical fish (thus the name "tropical) need warmer water (he lives in room temperature water)? If so, how can I make his water warmer without putting him in direct light or using an aquarium heater?

[Sorry if this doesn't belong here, because this is my first day so I'm not exactly sure what to do with this sight, and am under 13. :-P]

fish keeper 2013 04-03-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friesian Fish (Post 1633226)
Hello.
My brother's Betta fish (a male) stopped eating his food a while back (Betta pellets). After he didn't eat his food for a week or so, I started crushing his food on the food lid and then putting it right above wherever he was in the tank, and he started eating (not to much though) again.
Why did he start eating AFTER I crushed his food? Was it because his water's a little cold, and tropical fish (thus the name "tropical) need warmer water (he lives in room temperature water)? If so, how can I make his water warmer without putting him in direct light or using an aquarium heater?

[Sorry if this doesn't belong here, because this is my first day so I'm not exactly sure what to do with this sight, and am under 13. :-P]

Welcome to the forum!

Possibly your betta couldn't fit the food in its mouth. What brand are you feeding? Maybe you should try to find a different type of food (flakes). Many bettas are picky eaters.

What temperature is your room temperature? Also, how large is your tank? Is it planted? Is it cycled?

P.S For future reference this should probally go in the betta fish section (sub-section of tropical fish).

Friesian Fish 04-03-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 (Post 1633290)
Welcome to the forum!

Possibly your betta couldn't fit the food in its mouth. What brand are you feeding? Maybe you should try to find a different type of food (flakes). Many bettas are picky eaters.

What temperature is your room temperature? Also, how large is your tank? Is it planted? Is it cycled?

P.S For future reference this should probally go in the betta fish section (sub-section of tropical fish).

Thank you!
And okay, next time I'll put it there!

Yeah, I thought about the food thing too. I feed him TetraBetta floating mini pellets. Next time I go to the store, I guess I should get flakes! :)
The temperature is about 60-65 degrees (kind of cold for a tropical fish I guess), and is 1 gallon (I will probably transfer him to a 2 1/2 gallon soon though). It is not planted (it just has a fake plant), and is not filtered.

fish keeper 2013 04-03-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friesian Fish (Post 1633354)
Thank you!
And okay, next time I'll put it there!

Yeah, I thought about the food thing too. I feed him TetraBetta floating mini pellets. Next time I go to the store, I guess I should get flakes! :)
The temperature is about 60-65 degrees (kind of cold for a tropical fish I guess), and is 1 gallon (I will probably transfer him to a 2 1/2 gallon soon though). It is not planted (it just has a fake plant), and is not filtered.

At that temperature your Betta is probally acting lethargic. Is it pale/colorless? Is very unactive? This is also probally one of the reason your Betta was not eating earlier. Bettas need a temperature of around 78 degrees. May I ask why you do not wish to buy an aquarium heater? When you get that 2.5 gallon I highly recommend you put in a heater.

Friesian Fish 04-05-2013 04:52 PM

Okay thanks! Well, it depends. If the light is on in the room he's in, he'll swim around a bit.
The reason I don't use a heater is because my parents won't let me, as they think it might start a fire. Which I guess it could. :( Otherwise, I would DEFINITELY get one for him.
No, he's not really pale or anything. He's got a black body and orange fins...the same color he's been since we've had him for the last year and a half. Nothing noticably changing in him apart from eating. Flakes and new tank coming up very soon though!

fish keeper 2013 04-05-2013 08:10 PM

How could a heater start a fire? First off heaters have preset thermometers that turn it off when it reaches a certain temperature. Not only that but it only heats to 78 degrees, your body temperature is hotter than that. You can put your hand on it and it only feels a little warm. Even if the heater malfunctions and heats up to 90+ degrees that is still not hot enough to even cause something extremely combustable like oil to catch fire... Lastly, the heater is in water... How can something catch fire in water? Heaters are perfectly safe.

Think about it this way. The most flammable oil I could find combusts at... 320 degrees F. So you could fill a bowl with oil, have the heater malfunction and crank it up as high as it can... And you still, wouldn't be able to even come close to setting something on fire. I doubt an aquarium heater could ever set anything on fire.

If your parents still refuse to buy you a heater than I seriously advise against getting any tropical fish. If you can't provide for their needs don't get them at all.

P.S motor oil, generally considered on of the most combustable materials...combusts at 405 F, 4 times more than an aquarium heater can heat something to.

Friesian Fish 04-06-2013 02:13 PM

Oh thank you! I'll tell them about that and we'll see...I think that maybe I'll be able to get a small heater! :)

fish keeper 2013 04-06-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friesian Fish (Post 1666905)
Oh thank you! I'll tell them about that and we'll see...I think that maybe I'll be able to get a small heater! :)

Okay, keep me posted.

Friesian Fish 04-07-2013 12:54 PM

Okay I will!
Tommorrow I will be transporting Flash, the Betta Fish, into the 2 1/2 gallon tank.

fish keeper 2013 04-07-2013 01:22 PM

Did you get a heater?

One of my guppies is named flash :)