Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   QuICK Cure application help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/quick-cure-application-help-14377/)

KingTriton 05-05-2008 05:37 PM

QuICK Cure application help!

I need some insight asap! I just bought some QuICK Cure, but need some instruction on how to use it. Yes, I know there are directions on the back, but they do not match what I've read elsewhere. So, I'm looking for someone who has used it. Do I put the medication right into the tank she's in? I read someone else that you're supposed to transfer the fish to another tank and put the medication in there and leave the fish in there for only a short time. I do have another small empty tank right now that I could transfer her into if need be. She is alone in her current tank, so I don't have to worry about hurting anyone else in there. I just want to make sure I do it the best way to help her recover very quickly!

Jasey 05-05-2008 07:07 PM

I have used this medication several times before for ick. Since your fish is alone, it should be fine to use the medication on the entire tank. Plus, it would just be more stressful on the fish to move it, and also the new tank might not be cycled.

Put the drops right into the tank according to the dosage instructions. Keep in mind that if it is a tetra, use half dose, and I would not use any if it is a scaleless fish (loach, cory, pleco). Also if you have carbon in your filter, take it out while you are dosing the medication. Use it for 3 days consecutively. Good luck!

KingTriton 05-05-2008 07:14 PM

I've heard of people using it for up to 10 days. They say you need to in order to make sure the illness is completely gone. Have you heard this before? I know it says only 3 daily dosages on the package, but if people have used it longer and had success than I'd like to know.

Jasey 05-05-2008 07:19 PM

I have never used it for this long, however, the symptoms were also never present for more than 3 days. What exactly is your fish suffering from, and what type of fish is it?

Another thing I forgot to mention is make sure your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are in acceptable ranges before using the medication because it could cause the medication to react in a different way. (Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 ppm, and nitrate should be 20 ppm or below, ideally.)

KingTriton 05-05-2008 07:31 PM

It's a betta fish. She has been sick for over three days. It started a while ago with scratching against things, but she seemed perfectly normal besides this. She also sometimes seemed to just be chasing her reflection. About a week ago she started to become discolored and listless. She just lays on the bottom and her breathing is very heavy. He gills don't look too good. She was eating up until yesterday. I haven't seen her eat since then. She does come up to get air though. I know it could be too late. I wasn't able to get medicine until today. I believe she's got Velvet, and others have agreed.

I put the QuICK Cure in a moment ago. It went to the bottom, but there is still some up top that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Am I supposed to try to mix that in. Some of the water at the bottom is blue, but all of the water isn't blue. Is this normal? I put in the required amount.

Unfortunately, I cannot check the water b/c I don't have a test kit. I was not prepared for any of this stuff because I believed the idiots at the pet store! I did a 100% water change 2 days ago, a 50% on yesterday, and 50% one today before adding the medication. It's as clean as it's going to get. At this point, I think her situation is so bad that I might as well put the medication in and hope it does something.

Jasey 05-05-2008 08:34 PM

If you don't have a filter, I would use a straw or plastic spoon or something to stir the water a little bit so that all of the water appears to have a blue-ish tint. What size is the tank? While on the medication I would stick to your regular routine water changes, and if you add any new water, treat the amount you added with the medication accordingly.

KingTriton 05-05-2008 09:33 PM

Okay, I'll stir the water now, even though it's two hours after the fact. Now there is the faintest blue tint that you almost can't see at all. Is the water supposed to be bluer than this? It's a 1 gallon tank, at least that's what the box says. Yet, it seems like it could be a little more (but still less than 2). I only put 1 drop in since it's 1 drop for every gallon. I don't want to put too much in. When I first put it in it looked like there was almost 2 drops, but it now looks as if I didn't put any in at all. Is it normal for the color to disappear so quickly?

Jasey 05-06-2008 09:36 AM

Yes, this is normal. The color dissipates and you almost can't see any blue much later.

KingTriton 05-09-2008 10:25 AM

Thank you for your help, but she passed away.

Jasey 05-09-2008 11:50 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( At least you tried the best you could to help her.