Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What do I need to own a male guppy? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-do-i-need-own-male-143722/)

Bobby43 04-03-2013 01:52 AM

What do I need to own a male guppy?

Hello!
I want to buy a male guppy. Firstly, is it alright for a male guppy to be alone?
How high, long and wide should the aquarium be for the guppy(ies) be?
What do we need to put in the aquarium?
What food does it need?
I will be very happy if you can help.

Chesh 04-03-2013 06:28 AM

Guppies are such pretty little things. . . first, I'd like to point out that names shaded in grey (such as Guppy in your post) will link you to our tropical fish profiles, where I'm sure most of your questions would be answered. You can also get there by clicking on the link in the toolbar above.

Guppies are social little creatures. Though they aren't considered a shoaling fish, in my experience, guppies will be happier if they're kept in a group of at least three - they *can* get a little bit reclusive when kept alone, but that seems to depend on the fish. . .some don't seem to mind. The minimum recommended tank size is 5 gallons, which would probably be okay for a single specimen, but these guys are active when they're happy, so I personally wouldn't keep them in anything less than 10 gallons of water. Best if the tank is longer than tall, they appreciate the swimming room.

You can keep males together, but they can be nippy with each-other - or not, it does seem to depend on the temperament of the individual fish. You'll want to keep an eye out for any bullies in the group, though.

Guppies are really easy little fish to keep, they don't have any special requirements (that I know of) as far as the tank is concerned. They'll appreciate the cover of plants, (real or fake) and being curious creatures by nature, they'll 'explore' any tank ornaments you put in for them. If you do get more than one male, I'd highly recommend that you be sure to give them plants/decorations/places to hide - so they can get away from one another if bothered. This will help keep any possible aggression to a minimum.

Feeding is also easy, a quality flake food will keep them in good health. Livebearers love their veggies, so you can toss in a bit of a pea (softened and squished) from time to time, and they also appreciate the occasional 'meaty' treat, like brine shrimp.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the forum! :grin:

EDIT: just saw you're from the UK? Google tells me that a 10 gallon tank is 37.8 liters, and a 5 gallon is 18.9L :)

beaslbob 04-03-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by title
what do I need to own a male guppy

About $1.99 + tax:lol:

beaslbob 04-03-2013 08:53 AM

I use male guppies or platys as the first fish in my tanks with live bearers.

I plant the tank, wait a week, then add a single male platty or guppy and don't add food for a week.

Then I add a couple of females and start feeding a single flake per day.

6 months later I have a tankfull of fish which has a rather large and stable population for the next 8-9 years or so.

I do recommend you get nice looking but common guppies. Like the 1/2 blacks with perhaps some reds in the tails. Not the light colored types as they may be more fragile especially with the guppies at least.

my .02

Chesh 04-03-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaslbob (Post 1630274)
about $1.99 + tax:lol:

+ Bob's $0.02 = $2.01 ;-)