Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   white mold(?) on platies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/white-mold-platies-143714/)

iggyzso 04-03-2013 01:50 AM

white mold(?) on platies

1 Attachment(s)
Dear TropicalFishKeepers,

I would be happy to recieve any help/ideas you might have, since we are at loss, what kind of problems our platies (our first home-bred! :)) are having.

1. Tank
We keep 3 Mickey Mouse/Sunrise hybrid platies, 4 blue platies and one algae eating catfish(?) and one spotted (?) catfish in a 40 liter (11gallons). The water is cycled, thankfully very low nitrates and no nitrites in sight. Water quality info:

2. Water level
Nitrate: 25mg/l
Nitrite: 0 mg/l
GH: 16d
KH: 3d
pH:6.8
Chloride: 0.8

3. Water temp: 28 Celsius
4. Food: Frozen bloodworms (every other day), dry food (every other day)

All Mickey Mouse/Sunrise platies show the same symptoms: weird whitish stuff on their noses, in relatively thin layer, as if their color is fading. Their situation has been like this for about two monthes and they don't seem to get any better, although sometimes the symptoms are gone completely, sometime they become stronger and it's clear that there is something whitish on their noses. We already lost one platy about a month ago when we attempted to quarantine it and probably overdosed the medication...
We are at complete loss what it may be, since we haven't found any pictures remotely even similar to what we have, although we are guessing that it is some kind of funghus/bacterial infection. The sick platies otherwise are behaving well and eating regularly, so no problem with that.

We were hoping the infection will go away on its own, but last week it has gotten worse, so we changed the water (50%) Sunday night and now have also now put a dose of TetraMedica FungiStop in the tank, to deal with the infection that we have.

Has anyone had experience with such a disease? What is it? We finally managed to take a picture of the fast little ones, so maybe the picture will help to identify things.

I would be really sad to loose these platies, since they were already born in our tank and they even managed a 36 hour move in a jar when they were just 2-3 monthes old, so they're real fighters!

Thanks so much for any help anyone might have,
Zsofia

Attachment 90978

Snappyarcher 04-04-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyzso (Post 1629114)
Dear TropicalFishKeepers,

I would be happy to recieve any help/ideas you might have, since we are at loss, what kind of problems our platies (our first home-bred! :)) are having.

1. Tank
We keep 3 Mickey Mouse/Sunrise hybrid platies, 4 blue platies and one algae eating catfish(?) and one spotted (?) catfish in a 40 liter (11gallons). The water is cycled, thankfully very low nitrates and no nitrites in sight. Water quality info:

2. Water level
Nitrate: 25mg/l
Nitrite: 0 mg/l
GH: 16d
KH: 3d
pH:6.8
Chloride: 0.8

3. Water temp: 28 Celsius
4. Food: Frozen bloodworms (every other day), dry food (every other day)

All Mickey Mouse/Sunrise platies show the same symptoms: weird whitish stuff on their noses, in relatively thin layer, as if their color is fading. Their situation has been like this for about two monthes and they don't seem to get any better, although sometimes the symptoms are gone completely, sometime they become stronger and it's clear that there is something whitish on their noses. We already lost one platy about a month ago when we attempted to quarantine it and probably overdosed the medication...
We are at complete loss what it may be, since we haven't found any pictures remotely even similar to what we have, although we are guessing that it is some kind of funghus/bacterial infection. The sick platies otherwise are behaving well and eating regularly, so no problem with that.

We were hoping the infection will go away on its own, but last week it has gotten worse, so we changed the water (50%) Sunday night and now have also now put a dose of TetraMedica FungiStop in the tank, to deal with the infection that we have.

Has anyone had experience with such a disease? What is it? We finally managed to take a picture of the fast little ones, so maybe the picture will help to identify things.

I would be really sad to loose these platies, since they were already born in our tank and they even managed a 36 hour move in a jar when they were just 2-3 monthes old, so they're real fighters!

Thanks so much for any help anyone might have,
Zsofia

Attachment 90978

this is a fungal skin infection which is simple to treat with any one of a number of proprietary treatments... always make sure your water parameters stay good and if there is any sign of fish injuries, use a preventative treatment of malachite green to prevent these sort of infections.

iggyzso 04-04-2013 08:49 AM

Dear Snappyarcher,

thank you very much for your feedback and also the diagnosis!
so it seems we took the correct measures to put in FungiStop - that is a relief.

The platies are on Day 4 in the treatment and you can see that their skin is getting better, clearing since the medication is working, although their skin seems to be "bleeding" a bit. But I assume /hope this is normal. They are flashing a bit, but I am hoping after the treatment stops they will stop that as well! They have been eating healthily.

Anyway, thank you again for the help!
And I also hope the pictures helped for future diagnosis for other people!
Zsˇfia

1077 04-04-2013 10:16 AM

Might consider slowly, lowering the temp a bit.28 degree's C is 82 degree's F and platy's much prefer cooler water. (74 to 76 degree's F) in the long term.
Might also search for flake food 's containing algae or spirulina if not already serving this.
Live bearer's are omnivore's, but do much better with algae,spirulina based food's as opposed to those containing mostly animal protein's.
Blood worm's have very little nutrional value, perhap's 4% protein,95 % water,2 % fat.
They are ok for occasional treat, but I would wean the fish off of these were it me.

Snappyarcher 04-04-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1641818)
Might consider slowly, lowering the temp a bit.28 degree's C is 82 degree's F and platy's much prefer cooler water. (74 to 76 degree's F) in the long term.
Might also search for flake food 's containing algae or spirulina if not already serving this.
Live bearer's are omnivore's, but do much better with algae,spirulina based food's as opposed to those containing mostly animal protein's.
Blood worm's have very little nutrional value, perhap's 4% protein,95 % water,2 % fat.
They are ok for occasional treat, but I would wean the fish off of these were it me.

These are all good points... worth bearing in mind! Though im not sure I agree on the nutritional value of blood worm.... however inappropriate it is for platies! But anyway this advice is right the diet with more algae and spirulina would boost the little ones immune system.... personally with cichlids i use a wide variety of diets to give as broad a benefit as possible.

Here to help any time :D