Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   anyone in new england know good plants to find + clean 4 tnk (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/anyone-new-england-know-good-plants-14367/)

teh13371 05-05-2008 08:30 AM

anyone in new england know good plants to find + clean 4 tnk

I have a question. My aquarium is 20 gal, has 15 fish, danios, tetras, and a few white cloud mountain minnows. I live in New england, the connecticut-rhode island area, and does anyone know any good plants in this area that i can pluck and put inside my fish tank? I need more plants, and i want either some plants here that i can clean and plant in my tank or some more java fern. and how do i clean them without bleach? i am slightly uneasy with bleach.

okiemavis 05-05-2008 04:42 PM

I've never collected plants from this area, and I'm a little bit uneasy about it. There's a lot of chemicals floating around these waters and I worry about bringing them into my tank.

On the other hand, I use bleach dips all the time and couldn't recommend them enough. Just use 1 pt bleach to 20 pts water and soak for about 2 minutes. Obviously rinse thoroughly and repeatedly. To give you an idea of how safe it is, I've done bleach dips on plants that are now in my puffer tank- a very sensitive, scaleless fish, and he's always been in perfect health.

herefishy 05-05-2008 05:18 PM

Plants in your area are temperate and not tropical.

Thaliesin 05-05-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
Plants in your area are temperate and not tropical.

Ah good thinking, I didn't even think of that :wink:

teh13371 05-06-2008 08:54 AM

Oh yeah, I didnt think of the temperate/tropical thing... Do you know of there is a plant that can be interchangeable? I heard of one or two plants that are very flexible with temperature. And when you say 1 pnt bleach 20 pts water, that means like 1 cup bleach 20 cups water, right? or if i do get a plant should i maybe put it in a different tank with the same water and temperature as the original tank? or would it be a losing battle with the plant probably dying?

okiemavis 05-06-2008 04:33 PM

There are some species of camboba that are native to this area, and invasive milfoil can definitely be found in NE as well. I *think* these will adapt to your tank temperature, but I'm really not sure. I know that some bodies of water in the area get into the 70's in the summer, so according to that logic, the plants should adapt to your tank. However, this is all speculation, so don't quote me on it.

teh13371 05-07-2008 08:06 AM

Yeah, the water in the summer gets around 70, maybe a bit higher or lower. My pool gets to 75 usually, but the pond gets warmer. And thank you guys!

teh13371 05-07-2008 08:06 AM

Yeah, the water in the summer gets around 70, maybe a bit higher or lower. My pool gets to 75 usually, but the pond gets warmer. And thank you guys!