Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   ammonia (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ammonia-14366/)

Brian369 05-05-2008 05:58 AM

ammonia

Good Morning All New To This Forum. I have a 30 Gal tank has been set up for about 6 weeks now my fish are dying. we have high ammonia was off the chart have it down to about 1.0 beleave problem was grand daughter gold fish had 2 of them. we had 2 tin foil 4 mollies 2 cory 4 neon and a few other small fish. 1 foil 3 mollies and all neon have died.we use aqua clear 50 filter have air stone and heater. been fighting this for a week or so added ammonia remover didnt seem to do much have done 4 water changes three at 20% and one at 50 % is there any thing else we can do ? we use 6 in 1 test strips and liquid ammonia tester
nitrate 20 nitrite 3.0 hardness very hard chlorine 0 ph 8.4 alkalinity is blue on strip for some reason

Flashygrrl 05-05-2008 06:39 AM

First off, welcome to the forum.

OK, here goes. Goldfish need to have around 29 gallons to themselves due to the waste they produce (A LOT), and also you can't have them in with a heater because they're a coldwater fish. So I'd consider a separate tank for them (for two you'd need a 55 gallon, perhaps finding a new home would be easier :) )and then you could have a wider variety of fish in the 30 like more neons and stuff. The tinfoils (you're talking barb, right?) are also a fish that will get entirely too large for a 30 gallon so the survivor needs to go too. Other than that there's not a whole lot we can tell you to fix this, all the water changes and chemicals in the world can't. Another suggestion is to go and buy a good liquid reagent kit (API makes the master freshwater ones) and ditch the test strips. They kinda suck.

Sorry for the bad news but the petstore people never like to fess up that you're buying the wrong thing so research is crucial.

Brian369 05-05-2008 12:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. goldfish all ready have a new home ammonia down to 0.25 going to keep barb though planning on getting 120 gallon tank in a few weeks. going to let it set up first be for we add fish to it .so i think barb will be all right till then. yes i agree need better test kit plan on that to. again thanks for the reply.i`ve read a few post here all ready and they help a bunch keep up the good work.

Flashygrrl 05-05-2008 06:40 PM

Glad to hear, when you get your new tank use some of the gravel and if you can the filter from your existing tank, it will speed things up if you wish to cycle it fishless (id you do, add some fish food too for an ammonia source) but it may be better to get the barb in there when everything's all set up since it probably would be less stressful then leaving him in the 30. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Brian369 05-05-2008 09:34 PM

ammonia down to 0 for now

Flashygrrl 05-05-2008 09:46 PM

Well, you've got to have some ammonia or you tank won't cycle...if it's taking care of itself naturally then great but too many water changes can start the whole thing over. Just keep it below 0.25 and they should be ok.