Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   puffers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/puffers-14364/)

shirley 05-05-2008 03:21 AM

puffers

hi,ive just bought my first tank, and ive got 2 figure eight puffers and 1 green spotted puffer i would like to know what best to give them for their beaks can anyone help!

Dtld9 05-05-2008 04:20 AM

I know snails are good for thier beaks, I don't know how well the snails would do in brackish water but my dwarf puffers usually tear into them before they even hit the substrate. Just try to get them snails about the size of thier eyes.

It'sJames 05-05-2008 06:22 PM

I agree, snails will work wonders.

I've always wanted a brackish puffer... but there's not enough room for another tank. :( I do have DPs though. Neat little critters.

I know this is a little off subject, but I always thought that GSPs prefer high-end brackish while F8s need low-end brackish... You might want to consider keeping them in different tanks. How big is your tank?

j_wishbone 07-02-2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sJames
I know this is a little off subject, but I always thought that GSPs prefer high-end brackish while F8s need low-end brackish... You might want to consider keeping them in different tanks. How big is your tank?

F8's do require low end at around 1.005 or so... whilst GSP's pretty much require the higher end.. and requires full salt when they reach maturity.

refer to thepufferforum.com .. that is very informative site on puffers!!

okiemavis 07-02-2008 05:19 PM

The two GSP's are going to pick relentlessly on the much smaller Figure 8! Unfortunately, they're really not a good mix for cohabitation.

crazytank20 11-16-2008 11:00 PM

green puffer help please!!!!!

hi everyone... i need help i am new to this forum and i jsut added a green spotted puffer in the tank. with other fish,... he gets along with them... its jsut his skin got darker and the yellow color on the top is an olive color.. do u have any idea why.. he also will not puff up at all.. and i got bout 3-4 snails in the 29 gallon tank and he is not going for them.. and idea why???? please help!!

iamntbatman 11-17-2008 12:49 PM

How long has this tank been set up? Was it properly cycled before adding fish? What other fish are in the tank with him? What are your water parameters (pH, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Did you properly acclimate the fish and did you acclimate him to water that is similar in chemical makeup to the water at the store?

Puffers only puff up when being attacked or when they are severely stressed. Fish "darken up" usually when they are excited or at least comfortable in their environments, but it could also be a sign of something being wrong in this case such as improper acclimation. It may take him a while before he will eat anything.

knowbest 12-15-2008 06:15 AM

my puffers eat krill all the time.