Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Who's killing my guppies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/whos-killing-my-guppies-14303/)

hookedonfishtanks 05-03-2008 06:06 AM

Who's killing my guppies?

My fish list is in my signature.
Here's what's going on, for the last two weeks my guppies have had their tails nipped, and two have been killed. I have no idea who is doing the killing, I asked my LFS and was told that it was either the german blue ram or the gold barbs, I have no new additions and actually moved out some fish into their own tank.
I hate to see anymore fish die, anyone have any idea who it could be and a way to stop the killing?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

stephenmontero 05-03-2008 07:09 AM

i would guess the blue ram would be doing the fin nipping they can be pretty aggressive some times

hookedonfishtanks 05-03-2008 11:05 AM

Thanks that is what I thought.
I was told by my LFS and I don't ever believe what they say, but they said if I got a male that it would help with aggression is that true?

stephenmontero 05-03-2008 04:58 PM

i'm not really sure but i am sure someone else on the site will know and post the answer

guppy892 05-16-2008 09:59 PM

It has got to be the ram because it cant be the gold barb at all. I have 2 and they have been only agressive to each other. They are real good fish and dont have been hurting my fish. I have had them for about 6 months or so and hav'nt had any problems.

Oldman47 05-17-2008 05:29 AM

I would not rule out the gold barbs. I recently put 4 of them into a community tank and they are among the most aggressive fish in the tank. They are definite fin nippers in my book.

beweeb 05-20-2008 02:58 PM

definitely do not rule out the gold barbs. Barbs are fin nippers. Make sure you have enough caves for the ram[s] and I would not advise having any long tailed slow moving fish with a community tank like you have but I used to hate when people told me stuff that so you can do what you want :lol: :wink: :) :D :BIGvault:

hookedonfishtanks 05-20-2008 09:21 PM

I don't mind being told if I am doing something wrong, not matter how much I learn I still have a long way to go. Luckily since buying a Blue ram male none of my guppies have died.

I also have 7 caves of different sorts and seemingly happy fish.

I have a 125 cycling and soon the two tanks will be split to make everyone happier.

Lupin 05-20-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beweeb
definitely do not rule out the gold barbs. Barbs are fin nippers. Make sure you have enough caves for the ram[s] and I would not advise having any long tailed slow moving fish with a community tank like you have but I used to hate when people told me stuff that so you can do what you want :lol: :wink: :) :D :BIGvault:

Not all barbs are nippy or in the same level as the infamous tiger barbs. They nip if kept in small group or cramped conditions.

Oldman47 05-27-2008 06:50 PM

Lupin, I know you almost always have the right info but I have 4 gold barbs in my 120 and they are the biggest fin nippers in the tank. I no longer keep tiger barbs so I guess they are not as bad by comparison but they are very aggressive compared to the rasboras, black neons, angel, mollies. , guppy, rainbow cichlids, corydoras and the rest.