Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Ideas for new fish in my 10 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/ideas-new-fish-my-10-gallon-14300/)

M.I.C. 05-02-2008 09:54 PM

Ideas for new fish in my 10 gallon

I have had my 10 gallon tank (small but I live in an apt and cant have bigger) set up for amout 1-1/2 months I have 2 silver dollars and am wondering what kind and how many fish I should add next. I wanted to add something colorful, I was hoping maybe a smaller cichlid or 2 of some sort. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Flashygrrl 05-03-2008 04:42 AM

Your silver dollars are going to get too big for that tank and probably soon, and then things will quite literally go belly-up I'm afraid. You can't have cichlids either. Entirely too territorial, they and the angels would duke it out until one or the other was dead. I'd suggest getting rid of the two silver dollars and getting something like guppies, or maybe some cories if you've either got a small smooth substrate or are willing to change. Tetras or some harlequin raspboras would probably work too, always look at the max size they get and watch them in the tank. If they seem like they need swimming room (that's why I ruled out danios, they're too zippy for a 10), then it's not good to make them be in that small of a tank. Sorry for the bad news :(

tophat665 05-03-2008 11:44 AM

Re: Ideas for new fish in my 10 gallon

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.I.C.
I have had my 10 gallon tank (small but I live in an apt and cant have bigger) set up for amout 1-1/2 months I have 2 silver dollars and am wondering what kind and how many fish I should add next. I wanted to add something colorful, I was hoping maybe a smaller cichlid or 2 of some sort. Any feedback would be appreciated.

What Flashygrrl said about the Silver Dollars. They get about 8" long an will max out the bioload capacity on a 10 gallon in nothing flat.

She's not 100% right about cichlids, though. I can think of maybe two or 3 species that will work as a pair in a 10 gallon as the only fish in there. There are a couple of species of Lake Tanganyika Dwarf Shelldwellers that should work - Lamprologus stappersi, Lamprologus multifasciatus, Neolamprologus brevis, Lamprologus ocellatus (but only a bonded pair. Two fish not bonded will kill each other in a 10.) Sand substrate, a bunch of shells, coral in the filter. NO OTHER FISH.

Now, then, if you want colorful, any of the small tetras will work - Neons, Green Neons, Cardinals, Glowlights, Black Neons, Flames, embers - half dozen to 10 of each. There are also half a dozen species of microrasbora you could get 15 or 20 of - Rasbora maculata springs to mind.

If it's not too hot in the summer where you are, you could keep Heterandria formosa (least killifish - a livebearer) or Celestial Pearl Danios or Medaka ricefish.

Endler's livebearers

Red Cherry Shrimp

Betta - one male or 6 or 7 females (I am setting up a betta sorority in a 10 gallon now - planning on 6 and 3 ottos)

Ottos - more than 3 and you'll need to culture algae on smooth rocks to feed them.

Dwarf Puffers - 1 male no more than 2 females. Maybe up to 3 ottos. Nothing else.

Kuhli or black kuhil loaches

Lots more out there, but that should get you started.