Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   HELP ASAP (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-asap-1427/)

TexasTornado 11-18-2006 11:48 PM

HELP ASAP

my blue dwarf guarami is sick!! laying at the bottom of the aquarium and won't move but is still breathing. hasent been eating and stomach looks a little swollen. also it's head is a darker blue than the rest of it's body and i don't know what that means!!! and my water wisteria also looks bad and the leaves keep coming off, don't know if it's related or not...HELP i want to save my fish!

20 gal
ph 7
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
temp 78
1 dwarf blue guarami
3 tiger barbs

JouteiMike 11-19-2006 12:16 AM

Staying on the bottom of the tank usually means the fish is sick, or being harassed.

Do you have a liquid tester for Nitrates?

Worst case scenario, your Gourami has Dropsy.

I would quarentine the fish as soon as you can, so if it does have a disease, it won't spread to your other fish. Try feeding some anitbiotic food, and add Epsom salt at the rate of 1/8 teaspoon per every 5 gallons of water. This should reduce the swelling of the fish.

TexasTornado 11-19-2006 12:22 AM

it's not being harassed because the tiger barbs are little and don't bother it it's usually the other way around. i don't have a nitrate tester im getting one tomorrow.

bad news...i don't have a quarentine tank...i just have the 20 gal!

also it's scales look kinda funny, not sure what, they just don't look right.

JouteiMike 11-19-2006 12:27 AM

Are the scales standing out? If you look at the fish from the top does the fish look similar to a pinecone? These are symptoms of dropsy.

The fish needs immediate attention if the scales are like that and it is not eating. Dropsy is a pretty hard disease to treat. I would advise you that you would need another tank if you want to treat the fish, and it will also prevent the disease from spreading to your other fish.

TexasTornado 11-19-2006 12:32 AM

i can't tell if the scales are standing out or not...that might be why the head of the fish is darker maybe...but at 12am nowhere is open. :BIGsad: i'll just have to get something first thing in the morning! don't know what else i can do...i added some aquarium salts and turned on the bubbles...it just seems weird that it happened at the same time my plants started looking bad.

TexasTornado 11-19-2006 12:36 AM

i can't tell if the scales are standing out or not...that might be why the head of the fish is darker maybe...but at 12am nowhere is open. :BIGsad: i'll just have to get something first thing in the morning! don't know what else i can do...i added some aquarium salts and turned on the bubbles...it just seems weird that it happened at the same time my plants started looking bad.

JouteiMike 11-19-2006 12:39 AM

Epsom salt should be the only salt used, as it has the ability to draw OUT liquids from the fish. Using other kinds of salt, like aquarium salt, actually may pull water IN to the fish, worsening the dropsy...

Do you have any large rubber bins or trash cans that are clean? Or something to house the guy overnight? Hopefully he'll be okay for the night if if you can't find anything, even with the aquarium salt added. I would maybe do a couple small water changes to dilute the salt a little.

The earlier you start treating it, the better the chance of the fish living.

TexasTornado 11-19-2006 12:57 AM

oh i didn't add much of the aquarium salt...but i do have spsom salt and have added 1/2 tsp...but i have a feeling he won't make it till morning. This happened all so quickly! :cry: the water level was about a gal low so i did add 1 gal of fresh tap water to the tank. this is a pic i just tookm don't know if it helps any . http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/220_sick_fish_2.jpg

JouteiMike 11-19-2006 01:07 AM

Well I hope he makes it to see another day, that way maybe you can try treating him...but dropsy is a killer, but it's definitely not impossible to cure.

If you do end up treating it, it would be IDEAL to get another tank, you can probably get a 10gallon for 10 bucks. Then get some medicated food, like Romet B or Medi-Gold and feed that for 2 weeks. Try to get the temperature up to around 84-86 degrees for about 2 weeks and be sure to add some aeration to the tank, it is crutial because at such high temperatures water doesn't hold as much oxygen. Continue usin Epsom salt.

Best of luck to you and your fish!

crazie.eddie 11-19-2006 03:02 AM

Hopefully it will be ok, but usually if it lays on the bottom, that it's very ill. If it tries to swim upright, but cannot and sinks quickly, then it may have swim bladder problems.

A nitrAte reading would help...

How long have you had the gourami?

When you added water, did you add dechlorinator?

It looks like you have live plants, do you add fertilizers or CO2?

If the scales were protruding, it would be very easy to tell, since the fish will look like a porcupine around it's stomach. It appears that the scales are NOT protruding. I'm not sure if the picture was taken with the fish swimming through the plants or it's just sitting there. If it is just sitting there, then unfortunately, it may not be long before it goes. Due to it's weakened state, moving it to another tank maybe be a bad idea.