Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Craigslist (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/craigslist-1425/)

dprUsh83 11-18-2006 07:25 PM

Craigslist

Just upgraded to a 52 gallon tank, getting it set up now. :blueyay:

Just wanted to let everybody know, if you want to upgrade, POST SOMETHING ON CL!!!! :D

All I posted was that I had a 30 gallon that I'd like to upgrade, if anybody was interested and somebody messaged me and gave me a 52 gallon tank, 2 awesome filters, and a protein skimmer for my 30 gallon (just tank and stand). I'm in the process of getting it set up now, can't wait until it's ready for my fish!

I told the guy about not being able to bring the 30 gallon tank until I had them switched over, so he hung on to his lights until I am able to get him the 30 gallon tank. They're coral lights, looked very expensive. Gotta rearrange my living room, but I'm pumped!

Amphitrite 11-18-2006 07:29 PM

That's excellent news! Pics?? :thumbsup:

SimplySplendid 11-18-2006 07:41 PM

That's awesome! Great find! :blink:

dprUsh83 11-18-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katherine73
That's excellent news! Pics?? :thumbsup:

Will get them as soon as possible, I added a lot of already cycled water into the tank to hurry the process, and I have a filter from another tank that has used media, so that should help to. The filters he gave me were a little roughed up, so I'm cleaning them now. I'm so excited, though!

JouteiMike 11-18-2006 11:43 PM

Craigslist is nice. That's where I got my 75 gallon tank.

bettababy 11-19-2006 03:08 AM

It's great that you're using media from the other tank to get this new one started, but remember that it won't do much good unless the bacteria has a food source. A few pieces of flake food each day should help you out until you can get fish, just be careful not to over do the amount of food, and watch water quality while cycling so as not to put fish in before the cycle is finished.
If cycling with fish, you'll want to put a fish or 2 into the tank within 48 hrs of adding that water and filter media, otherwise the bacteria culture will die and you'll need to start all over... leaving the whole purpose of using already cycled water and filter media as a culture completely useless.

crazie.eddie 11-19-2006 03:24 AM

Cool deal! Yeah, CL is awesome. I've been thinking of upgrading my 20 gallon long to a 29 gallon, since taller plants look better in a 29 gallon, but I didn't want to buy another tank. I happened to notice someone offering a 25 gallon tank for FREE. They were moving and just wanting to get rid of it. After picking it up, I measured it and noticed it was a 29 gallon tank. The tank is practically brand new, including the wooden stand. A few months ago, I scored a 90 gallon tank, which someone listed it as a 55 gallon tank, which was for FREE also. I'm hoping to score on a 50 gallon tank (36"x18"x18") with a nice wooden stand for a planted tank for a future L-046 breeding colony .

dprUsh83 11-19-2006 03:03 PM

I'm curious about a couple things. He used this as a saltwater tank and it comes with a "Skilter" (protein skimmer / filter). Would it be wise to use it in freshwater? I will be running two very nice filters that he gave me too, but if it's beneficial to use it, I will.

Also, the light he gave me is awesome. It's the light with three settings, but he has bulbs for the saltwater tank (two sets of white, two sets of blue, and then lunar). Is it okay to use the white/blue to light the tank? He said it'd grow algae faster in freshwater, I'm thinking it'd be good for live plants too. The only negative about the light is it makes a little noise every so often which is kind of annoying, but it's a really nice light.

crazie.eddie 11-19-2006 03:22 PM

It's probably a CF (Compact Flourscent) light. The blue are actinic bulbs, more aid for corals, but makes the blue in the fish stand out more. Plants do not use it. Unless you want to go with planted tanks, you should just use one set of the daylight bulbs and the lunar bulbs, if you like to see the fish activity at night. Depending on the brand of lights, one set of bulbs should produce about 2wpg, which is sufficient for low tech (lights under 2wpg with NO CO2) planted tank. If you decide to go with high tech planted tanks, you can replace the actinic bulb with either 6700 and/or 10000K bulbs.

The skilter filters aren't really popular filters in FW tanks and I would assume they aren't as popular in SW tanks as well. Depending on the model, it can probably still be used, along with another filter. The skimmer feature in skilter features aren't necessary, since there isn't much protein buildup in FW tanks. If you do see some kind of protein or oily type residue on the water surface, this can easily be removed by additional surface agitation.

tophat665 11-19-2006 08:44 PM

Lets see here - I have purchased one 10 gallon tank at a fish store. I was given another 10, a 38 flat back hex, and a 46 bowfront. Everything else has come from craigslist: a 55 with stand and canopy, a 75 with stand and lights; three 20 highs, all with filters, one with light, a sweet air pump and stones, heater, gravel, and 7 loaches; a 50 breeder with 2 light strips, versa tops, a filter, thermometer, heater, and stand, and a 5 1/2 and a 2 1/2 thrown in for good measure. Yeah, craigslist has been good to me. (Going to get me a table saw, router table, and drill press off there next year too.)