Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   fish dying please help!!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/fish-dying-please-help-142170/)

hallie56 04-01-2013 01:13 PM

fish dying please help!!!!!

I got up this morning and 3 of my fish (1 swordtail, 2 guppies) were laying in the tank. I checked water parameters and they are as follows.

Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
temp 76...

Due for a water change today..... 25%

Please help as I am at a loss as to what is killing them.
Not sure what to look for . I have one platy that is sluggish but the others are swimming around just fine, they are all eating well. suggestions as to what to look for please ,, or what to do, I do not want to lose them all.

Farringtonmetal 04-01-2013 02:54 PM

Could you give a few more details? How many gallons? how many fish do you have in your tank? what kind of filter do you have?

Let's see if we can figure this out!

hallie56 04-01-2013 08:13 PM

it is a 30 gal. tank...
5 guppies, 7 platys and 1 cory....
2 aqua tech for 20 gal. that is why there are 2

I did a 50 percent water change..... am desperate, I noticed one of my platys has a patch of white film looking stuff on him that wasn't there the other day.

hallie56 04-02-2013 01:55 AM

it is almost 2 am and I am sitting here watching one of my guppies give birth, at 17 fry so far.... Maybe the male I lost today fathered these and I will get one of his fry. I cannot put them in my big tank for fear they will contract whatever is killing the others. although the one giving birth has been in the tank so I am taking the fry out and putting them in my other tank. .....

Romad 04-02-2013 04:21 AM

Sorry to hear about your fish. Please answer as many of the following questions as you can so that we can try to help.

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...#ixzz2PIQM4SU5

hallie56 04-02-2013 09:29 AM

Romad..... I will answer what I can.

1. Size of tank? 30 gal

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia O
b. Nitrite 0
c. Nitrate 20
d. pH, KH and GH 7.2
e. Test kit API master test kit

3. Temperature 80

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish) Freshwater

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 6 months

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

I have 5 guppies, 1 cory, 7 platys..... (all but 2 of platys are only 2 months old, born in tank. last bought guppies 6 weeks ago... had been in tank for 2 weeks.

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
yes

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? all fake plants.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Hollow décor

9. a. Filtration? aquatech (from walmart) 2 for 20 gal. tank.... that is why I have 2 of them in it.
b. Heater? yes.......

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? flouresent I turn it off at night.... light is on approximately 12 hr.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? No sunlight

11. a. Water change schedule? I do water change usually once weekly... had ammonia spike about a week ago... did 2 50 % water changes to bring it down.
b. Volume of water changed? usually only 25 %....
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap
d. Water conditioner used? aquasafe... put out by tetra....
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Vacumed every water change. careful not to vacume to much as to not mess with cycle.

12. Foods? Hikari first bites for the young ones...... Hikari high protein for guppies.... freezedried bloodworms once weekly.... or shrimp .... alternate those two as a treat. wardley tropical fish flake food.
How often are they fed? once in the morning and once at night.

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? whitish film looking stuff on sides of a couple platys
b. Appearance of poop? whitish
c. Appearance of gills? red

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? only fish I treated was one that was wounded with melafix.... but that was in small tank..... not community .
b. What meds were used?

I am slowly raising the temp in the tank to help if it is ick... but I do not see any salt like spots on them, just the whitish looking film on the two platys.

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary. will have a friend come take a photo of tank for me if she can.... and I will post it.

Thank you so much, I lost another one this morning and now they are all hanging out by the heater....

hallie56 04-02-2013 09:08 PM

lost another one this morning..... raised the temp to 84 today..... will raise it another 2 degrees tomorrow..... Please can anyone help????????

RackinRocky 04-03-2013 01:17 AM

The white film you saw on the one fish could be Columnaris, and in that case you WOULDN'T want to raise the temperature, as it breeds faster in warmer water. I've been through the wringer with Columnaris, and its the pits. If you see any spots on the mouths of the fish, or red streaks, or just the film, I would get some Kanaplex by Seachem and treat the whole tank with that. Columnaris killed half my fish, and it came back two months later and killed more. Its a very nasty disease that is hard to get rid of. I tried Maracyn and Maracyn II and neither one helped at all. I had a very virulent form of the disease. If your case isn't as virulent, you may be able to save most of your fish.

iggyzso 04-03-2013 01:39 AM

sorry, posting to wrong place :(

..I can't delete my post...But good good luck with your fishes - I hope they get better!

hallie56 04-03-2013 03:23 PM

thank you iggzy.... I just got home and another one leaves me.... and she was preg. Not sure what is killing them all...... I guess I am going to have to just start treating till I get it right. and hope for the best.