Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   How much should you feed cories/ plecos (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/how-much-should-you-feed-cories-14200/)

tran2255 04-28-2008 10:27 PM

How much should you feed cories/ plecos

Hi. I was just wondering how you should feed cories and bristlenose plecos. I know cories are scavenger fish and eat whats on the bottom, and i got some sinking pellets for them. I also know B.N plecos eat algae, but they're so good at eating it the algae can't keep up, so i started suplementing algae wafers. However, the problem is i got some platies and gouramis that are pretty greedy. Whatever food i put in, they eat. The algae and pellets are constantly pushed around, and the cories and plecos are pushed out of the way. Bcuz of this i resorted to feeding them at night only. I got four small cories, 3 small B.N plecos, and I throw in 2 sinking shrimp pellets and an algae pellet every night. it disapprears in the morning so i assume they're eating it. However, I can't help but get the feeling that the other fish are stealing them at night too. Do you think this might be happening? How much should i feed 4 cories and 3 bristlenose plecos? How and what should i feed them? Sorry for the long post, but some of them have become pretty lethargic the past few weeks, so i hope they're not starving.

diavids 04-29-2008 01:01 AM

Re: How much should you feed cories/ plecos

Hello,

I have both cory's and BN pleco's. In the evening I put both cory pellets and algae wafer In for my bottom feeders. I also make sure when I'm feeding frozen foods that the bottom feeders get some (turkey baster is good for this) I shoot the food directly to where they are. I also feed my pleco Zucchinis. Just cut off a small piece and weigh it down with a metal band that plants are wrapped with, if you don't have one of those, a fork also works. Your platies will also enjoy the zucchini, I know my guppies do. Please don't think of Cory's or pleco's as scavenger fish. cory's will shift through the sand or gravel looking for uneaten food but like other fish, you must make sure that they are getting a balanced diet. I don't worry about taking the zucchini out too quickly, as some pleco's like it after its been in the tank for a bit. I tend to replace the zucchini after its been in the tank 24 hours or so, when it starts to fall apart. I'm a bit of a nutter for the bottom feeders I must admit, I got currently in my 45 gal, two pleco's (clown and BN), 5 cory, 3 upside down catfish, one lace catfish, 2 otto's. by the way you do have some wood in the tank for the BN pleco's I hope, as they need wood in their diet. I hope this helps and sorry for being so long winded.
dianne

tran2255 04-29-2008 12:23 PM

Thanks a lot daivid for your advice, but do you have problems with other fish bossing your fish around? My platies and gouramis swarm whatever food i put in, and push the plecos and cories out everytime they come close, not to mention steal it in their mouth whenever the food gets smaller. what should i do about that?

tran2255 04-29-2008 12:27 PM

wait cories eat zucchinis and greens right?I threw in a piece of lettuce a few months back and they didnt even touch it, so i resorted to pellets instead. i noe they dont have the grindy teeth like thing that plecos have so im guessing i got to cut it upthis time rite?, or can i just throw in a large chunk for them to eat?

jeaninel 04-29-2008 01:15 PM

Hi,
I've got cories and a pleco in with some very greedy feeders (Rainbows!). I feed all my fish at the same time so while the Rainbows, gourami and Congos are busy catching pellets I drop a few sinking wafers to the bottom for my cories and pleco. Although the other fish do sometimes snatch up a wafer. It's funny to watch them racing around with a wafer in their mouth. Then they'll drop it and another fish will snatch it up. Like diavids I'll also use a baster to shoot food down to the bottom dwellers when I feed frozen foods . I watch and make sure everyone has gotten a few bites.

My cories were never much for greens and they ignore the zucchini or other greens. But the Rainbows go nuts for them as well as the Pearl gourami. I have a veggie clip with a suction cup that I use and the pleco usually gets his fill with a Rainbow waiting right behind him for a chance to take a nip.

diavids 04-29-2008 10:45 PM

my cories are not to fond of the greens, but they do like the green wafers but I also give them shrimp pellets and cory wafers. My cory's speically love blood worms. About 15 min after I turn off the fish lights I toss extra pellets into the tanks for my shyer bottom feeders. I find the cory's don't really let others boss them around

tran2255 04-30-2008 12:18 PM

I tend aviod the turkkey baster method. I found that whatever you shoot to the bottom, it floats up anyways. I tries feeding them blood worms this way and it just floats straight up, not to mention the cories run away from the baster.

tran2255 04-30-2008 12:19 PM

so do you think its better to feed them exclusively at night? do you think other fish can sense it at night?

iamntbatman 04-30-2008 08:55 PM

I would try both feeding them at night and "tricking" your other fish. My cories usually get their fill of sinking shrimp pellets and algae wafers (although sometimes my snails are hogs with the wafers). However, another tank I have has both dwarf puffers and tiger barbs. The barbs eat like a swarm of sharks and the puffers are slow at finding and eating their food, so usually I dump in the flakes or bloodworms for the barbs and let them go nuts while I drop the puffer food (brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms or most often pond snails) right onto a rock.

jeaninel 05-01-2008 05:11 PM

tran2255 wrote
Quote:

I tries feeding them blood worms this way and it just floats straight up
Are you using the freeze dried worms? Try frozen bloodworms. They will sink and the cories will soon come to know that the baster means food. All of my fish swarm to me when they see the baster.lol