Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   help!! my fish can't swim and his head seems swollen (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-my-fish-cant-swim-his-14159/)

jlmom 04-27-2008 03:44 PM

help!! my fish can't swim and his head seems swollen

what does this mean? can he still be saved?

bettababy 04-27-2008 04:09 PM

There is nothing anyone can do to help you until you provide us with enough of the right information... please go to this link http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=882
and post the answers here. Once we have the information, we can then begin to sort our your problem and offer some help/advice.

jlmom 04-27-2008 05:03 PM

Below are answers to the question. thanks for your help.

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 1 gallon
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? about a month
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) Only one betta
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? no
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? not sure
7. What make/model filter are you using? Airteck K20
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? a bit of indirect light.
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? a week ago
11. How often do you perform water changes? used to do it too often, now 1/2 every 7-9 days, depending on water conditions. before i was doing 1x per week 1/2 and 1x per week full. Since he was turning withish, I purchased a filter. color returned, but he has loss his appetite and gotten siccker.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? freeze dried worms
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? none
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? fish has swollen head and doesn't seem able to have energy to swim to the top or eat.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. not sure. the pet shop told me that due to the tank size i don't need to test for this--he refused to sell me a kit!
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? none
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? never owned one before. My mother kept one occassionally. Never had any problems. My fish seems happy at the shop, and was very lively at first in the house.

Flashygrrl 04-27-2008 06:21 PM

1st off, your betta does actually need a bigger tank, doubtless your "friendly" lfs person has no clue about that. 2.5 gallons is the minimum of what we suggest, and a small heater is probably also a necessity, temps swings and temps dropping below 78 can be very harmful to them.
2nd, you cannot only be feeding him freeze dried bloodworms. You're very lucky he hasn't bloated and died yet. Get him to eat a thawed pea asap, starve him if you have to and if he can't swim up to get it put it on something that's not sharp and bring it to his level. Once he gets pooping green stuff feed him 3-4 pellets a day or 2 twice a day with a bloodworm as an occasion treat, don't feed pellets until he starts taking peas.. This lack of staple food probably has a lot to do with his lack of energy.
3rd....Im not gonna say what I want to say about your LFS guy. Order it online if you have to, we all suggest the API kit.

No clue about the swollen head, sorry, but you have to get some decent food into him. A pic would help.

SST 04-27-2008 07:26 PM

I think you also need to do more frequent water changes. Are you using a water conditioner as well? I'm guessing the reason that pet store dude wouldn't sell you the test kit was because with such a small tank, he assumed you'd be doing 100% water changes on a regular basis.

My advice would be to do a 100% water change using the correct dose of water conditioner. Post a picture if you can. And PM BettaBaby and let her know you've posted the answers to the fishie emergency questions. She knows her stuff when it comes to taking care of our little friends.

jlmom 04-27-2008 07:32 PM

thanks everyone. When i first got him, i fet him pellets. He hated them and refused to eat them. As soon as bought him the worms, he started eating.

I'll try feeding him a pea, and order a hearter. Weather has been changing a lot lately.

Meatpuppet 04-27-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlmom
thanks everyone. When i first got him, i fet him pellets. He hated them and refused to eat them. As soon as bought him the worms, he started eating.

I'll try feeding him a pea, and order a hearter. Weather has been changing a lot lately.

a good diet with variety is essential for a happy/happy fish. freeze dried blood worms are not very nutritous. its likes feeding humans only donuts, or chocholate- yummy but not heathly.

when feeding pellets or flakes, you may need to try various brands until you get one he likes. feeding him frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and peas once a week is good to

Flashygrrl 04-27-2008 07:53 PM

Most fish will usually suck it up and eventually eat what you offer if they get hungry enough, and bettas are probably the pickiest of small fish.

Look into that bigger tank if you can, too. It's better than having a 1 gallon and having to do 100% changes...that tends to shock the fish so we try to avoid it with the bigger tanks.

jlmom 04-27-2008 09:50 PM

aahhh, junk food. that's what i get for going to chain stores. does anyone has a good on-line store for fish food? any good brands?

I freak out and purchased Betta Revive, has anyone used it before?

beetlebz 04-27-2008 11:53 PM

I use hikari betta bio gold as a staple. i sometimes feed a broken up tubifex worm cube, and sometimes tetracolor crisps to mix it up a little bit for my females. so far just a couple flakes and betta bio gold for my single male, but the snail eats the rest. havnt tried peas yet!

but the betta bio gold stuff is nice. it comes in a tiny packet for only a couple bucks if you wanna try it. $2.69 at petco i think.