Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Torn fin (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/torn-fin-14156/)

SlavetoImpulse 04-27-2008 12:36 PM

Torn fin

So, I had to do an emergency fish transfer. My betta, Cow--I know it's weird name, but he's a purple-marble colored fish with splotches on his body and fins--had to be put into one of those critter carriers, because the tank I had him in cracked for whatever reason. After I had put him in, I noticed his right ventral fin seemed to be torn. This might seem like a stupid question, but will the fin heal and grow back? :?

Meatpuppet 04-27-2008 03:22 PM

it should heal back. just make sure you have good water quality too help the process
do you know what he tore his fin on?

SlavetoImpulse 04-27-2008 04:22 PM

No, and I don't know how long it's been like that, either. He's sadly had a couple of tank changes--which I know isn't good for him--for various reasons. It could've happened any of those times, or just today.

okiemavis 04-27-2008 04:59 PM

Do you know why your tank cracked? I'm just worried the stand/table you're keeping it on is uneven, which is what caused it to break. Tanks don't just break without a reason, I wouldn't want this to happen again with the replacement tank.

Also, yes, the fin should heal just fine. Make sure your water parameters are pristine and keep an eye out for infection just in case.

It'sJames 04-27-2008 06:30 PM

Feeding him high quality foods should speed up the healing process.

SlavetoImpulse 04-27-2008 11:32 PM

It isn't an uneven surface. I have no idea what could've caused it to crack, but you're right, it doesn't just crack for no reason. I'd get glass if it wasn't so heavy.

What is considered a "high quality" food? I only feed him dried bloodworms. Should he be eating something else?

beetlebz 04-27-2008 11:58 PM

imo id just get a 10g glass tank setup. depending on what hardware you already have, the tank itself is only 12 bucks at petco. if something bad happens, its only 12 bucks for a new one :)[/list]

SlavetoImpulse 04-28-2008 12:11 AM

That would be ideal, but I have no place for a 10g setup. My room, where Cow and I live, is the size of a walk-in closet. Lol. I can't spare the space.

Sad, I know.

JMeenen 04-28-2008 02:47 PM

my tank is also leaking....I have ordered a new one.

It'sJames 04-28-2008 06:11 PM

I'd supplement the freeze dried bloodworms with a more complete food like Hikari betta pellets. Freeze dried bloodworms are fine, but I wouldn't use them as a staple. Bettas also love life foods, if you're willing to deal with them on occasion. The pellets can be bought at just about any pet store, but for live foods you'd probably have to go to a specialty fish store - Petco & Petsmart don't carry them. Live foods are not necessary, but they're a good choice (as a supplement) and my bettas love them.