Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   design help need for large tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/design-help-need-large-tank-141385/)

PAR9341 03-31-2013 04:21 PM

design help need for large tank

Hi everyone this is my first large tank and I'm looking to make it bullet proof. I have a few issues I need some help with. First the tank is viewable on all sides so I'm going to get it with a center overflow. Most of the stuff I have read says canister filters like the fx5 would be great but what do i do about the heaters? And do I run the pick ups out of the overflow and down into the tank or just pull the water out of the overflow cavity? I thought i could run a wet dry and have the heaters in the sump. But like i said this is my first built in filter setup have always used hob stuff before. the tank will be 72x24x31 advertised as 240 gallons. Any suggestions on setup would be greatly appreciated.

Tazman 03-31-2013 04:51 PM

Welcome to the forum first of all. :-)

Something concerns me here...is the tank drilled with a built in overflow? If so then you dont need canister filters if it has a sump with it.

PAR9341 03-31-2013 04:56 PM

thanks . and yes it will have a center overflow so I can hide all the plumbing. trying to plan out how many and what size holes to get drilled

PAR9341 03-31-2013 04:57 PM

trying to decide on filter set up

Tazman 03-31-2013 05:28 PM

You either have an overflow and use the sump or canisters. Having both only increases the filter capacity but at greater cost due to having to buy a return pump, have the tank drilled or purchase a store bought overflow.

If your tank is going to be drilled, 1 1/2" - 2" bulkheads for a tank that size. I would do 2 overflows and 2 returns, maybe even 3 overflows with one acting as an emergency backup. You need to work out the flow rate coming from the overflow and this will dictate the size of return pump, size of return pipe you will need.

If you are going to use canister filters there is no need to drill the tank at all. Canister filters 2 x Fluval FX5 would be sufficient for that tank.

PAR9341 03-31-2013 05:41 PM

My problem is i dont want to see the canister lines running on the outside of the tank since the tank is on an island in the middle of the room. I had figured that 2 fx5 s would work but how do i get heaters in the tank other than in a sump. I have never used a sump type filter and I'm trying to get more familiar with their setup and stability. I have an old 90 gallon tank that i could put in the basement. And i could make it into a wet dry but i'm not sure on how big to make the compartments. This is a long term project and I want it to be spot on.

Tazman 03-31-2013 06:02 PM

If you are running pipes down from a drilled tank into the basement, you will need a massively powerful return pump to get water that high back into the tank. Either way you will have things on view, the return pipes, overflow pipes on a drilled tank or canister intakes / returns on a non drilled tank.

I would seriously consider just having the canister filters and have the intakes in the middle of the tank, the returns at the ends. Heaters you can have in the tank at either end, 2 x 300w or maybe even 3 for backup.

PAR9341 03-31-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1600657)
If you are running pipes down from a drilled tank into the basement, you will need a massively powerful return pump to get water that high back into the tank. Either way you will have things on view, the return pipes, overflow pipes on a drilled tank or canister intakes / returns on a non drilled tank.

I would seriously consider just having the canister filters and have the intakes in the middle of the tank, the returns at the ends. Heaters you can have in the tank at either end, 2 x 300w or maybe even 3 for backup.

Posted via Mobile Device

PAR9341 03-31-2013 06:11 PM

Not sure you are understanding the setup the over flow is in the center of the tank and not on any wall of the tank so when the cover is on the overflow you won't see the plumbing. if I use the 90 gallon as the sump do you have any suggestions on how to divide it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 03-31-2013 06:29 PM

The overflow in the center of the tank, still is going to have either holes in the bottom of the tank or in back wall. The water will then flow into the sump via pipes.

http://www.salt-city.org/gallery/fil...l_overflow.jpg - This is an example of a central overflow system.

Eshopps Overflow Box - Model 1800 // Aquarium Supplies Canada - Pond Supplies Canada - Reptile Supplies Canada // Pets & Ponds - Example of a store bought overflow box.

Either way unless you make something to cover the pipes, not possible to hide them.

Example of sump setups - http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html