Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Brown Algae everywhere! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/brown-algae-everywhere-14133/)

Togiran 04-25-2008 11:01 PM

Brown Algae everywhere!

Hey guys. As some of you know, I have a 10 gallon tank with a Betta and an Apple Snail in it. There is a bit of Anachris too. The rest is silk. Take a look at my tank profile if you want to know more.
I have Anachris because my tap water carries a reading of 20 Nitrates.

I have brown algae growing everywhere. It's all over the leave of the plants (the fake ones) and all over the glass. It looks really horrible.

I change the water every other day, or every 2 days at most. It's been set up since late March.

Tank
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrites: 0.1
Nitrates: 10 (Yes!! This is finally lower. I guess I can thank my Anacharis.)
pH: 8.6

Tap
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 50 (I think it's somewhere between 20 and 50, the reading was 20 last time I checked back in March, but now the color is different for some reason)
pH: 7.4 (What!? Lower than my tank's water?)

Anyone have suggestions?

Togiran 04-25-2008 11:04 PM

Oh, and I'd like to add that it's even on the fake logs and large polished rocks. It's all over the thermometer and the area around the filter thing.

Dave66 04-26-2008 12:12 AM

The 'brown algae' is Diatoms, which is algae in a shell. You get them, ESPECIALLY in newer tanks, when you have excess silicates either in your tap water or your substrate or decorations and nutrient levels are all over the place. The silicates with excess Nitrate or Phosphate always equals Diatoms.

Large partial water changes thrice a week to dilute the nutrients, plus 12 hours a day of bright lighting, usually takes care of them. You can wipe them off the glass as well. Takes time to get rid of Diatoms, but they do go away.

Dave

Togiran 04-26-2008 11:23 AM

So should I keep up my routine? I change the water every other day, and have flourescent lights on for about 12 hours a day arleady.

Togiran 04-28-2008 09:48 AM

Guys, please. I need more help.

The algae is spreading and it's really clouding up the glass. It's unbearable.

I've been changing the water every other day/2 days. I dunno what else to do.

1077 04-28-2008 10:49 AM

Vaccuming the substrate regularly ? You may also wish to remove decorations and clean them. scrape down the glass just before you do next water change and decorations have been removed. If nitrate level from Tap is too high,you may wish to search for product to help control it. There are none however that will remove it despite their claims to the contrary.

1077 04-28-2008 11:38 AM

should you clean the decorations be sure and rinse them good in dechlorinated water before you put them back in your tank.Some people use bleach at the rate of one tablespoon per gal of water to clean with or you may use vinegar and water. :wink:

fish_4_all 04-28-2008 12:20 PM

Just to make sure we are dealing with diatoms here, do they come really easily and feel kinda slimy? If so then read on, if not then it could be something different.

The diatoms are feeding on silicates, With your routine I am guessing you have silicates in your tap water. Stop doing so many water changes, all you will do is feed the silicates.

As for "scraping" the glass, only do so with a soft object that is not gonna expose more silicates in your glass so more diatoms can feed on it. A magnetic glass scraper or even a sponge is all that is needed to remove diatoms.

Ceramic pieces also have silicates in them so don't scrub them clean either.

What stops them is when they do not have a source to feed on in your tank. Once the natural "slime" layer is produced and covers everything incuding decoration, gravel and the glass then they will go away, even if you have silicates in your tap water.

Togiran 04-28-2008 01:40 PM

It's definitely slimy.

How often should I change the water in my tank now?
I'll go ahead and buy a magnet scraper, those seem handy.
Should I get rid of my Anachris?

I don't vacuum my gravel too much because I really have no room to, there are alot of decorations and fake plants. Not to mention the Anachris.

Should I take everything out except the betta and the snail and vacuum the gravel real good?

fish_4_all 04-28-2008 01:45 PM

Leave the Anacharis, it will only help keep the tank healthier.