Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Question if anyone could answer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/question-if-anyone-could-answer-14111/)

devil2monkey 04-24-2008 10:12 PM

Question if anyone could answer

okays im new here and i just got some new fish for my tank. ive had them for almost a week and my red wagtail platy is acting kinda weird. she's hitting herself off of the decorations (sp) in my tank and she hides under them and dosent interact with the other fish. if anyone could help me with this that would be great. Thank You Krystina

bettababy 04-24-2008 10:17 PM

Hi and welcome to ff! We'll do all we can to help you, but we'll need more information first.
How big is the tank?
How long has it been set up?
What species of fish are in it? How many of each?
What are the water params for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH?
What is the water temp?
What kind of filter are you running?
How often are you doing water changes? How much each time? When was the last one?
What kind of foods are you offering? How often and how much each time?
What kind of decorations are in the tank? How many?

Anything else you can think to tell us will help even more, such as any other symptoms, anything you noticed before these symptoms started, and how the other fish look and are behaving... any loss of color, loss of appetite, etc.
If you can post a pic or 2 of the sick fish and the whole tank, that helps even more. Most important right now are going to be those water params, and in order to help, we'll need exact numbers from all of those tests.

devil2monkey 04-24-2008 10:51 PM

Thank you. my tank is a 10 gallon. its fairly new. my boyfriend and i decided to get some fish.we got the tank three days before we got the fish. it took some time getting the water all straighten out with all the right stuff in it . its fine now or atleast i think it is they are: Nitrate is 0, Nitrite is 0, Ph is 6.8. if theres anything i should change feel free to tell me. we just got the fish monday. ph levels and everthing are okay. the water temp is 76 degress. a carbon filter that came with our aquarium kit. i just just changed out some water yesturday. it was about 4 L. and i reaplced it with clean water. i use tropical fish flakes. i feed them like a pinch or two. i have three small structuers and 3 fake plants. my other fish a very active. my mollies and the other platy play with each other and my red wagtail just hides. i dont have pics up yet cuz i cant find my camera.

bettababy 04-24-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devil2monkey
Thank you. my tank is a 10 gallon. its fairly new. my boyfriend and i decided to get some fish.we got the tank three days before we got the fish. it took some time getting the water all straighten out with all the right stuff in it . its fine now or atleast i think it is they are: nitrate is 0, nitrite is 0, Ph is 6.8. if theres anything i should change feel free to tell me. we just got the fish monday. ph levels and everthing are okay. the water temp is 76 degress. a carbon filter that came with our aquarium kit. i just just changed out some water yesturday. it was about 4 L. and i reaplced it with clean water. i use tropical fish flakes. i feed them like a pinch or two. i have three small structuers and 3 fake plants. my other fish a very active. my mollies and the other platy play with each other and my red wagtail just hides. i dont have pics up yet cuz i cant find my camera.

Ammonia reading? With 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite, there is likely a high ammonia level, and that is toxic to the fish. 0 nitrates tells me that the tank hasn't yet finished cycling, and 0 nitrites at the same time tells me it's still in the beginning stages. Average cycling time for a freshwater tank is about 6 wks, the more fish in it, the longer it will usually take to cycle.
How many fish are in the tank total? The platy that is having the problems, is it male or female? Is there both male and female platys in the tank? What is the sex of the other?

I can tell from your description that you need a lot more decorations in that tank for those fish to find peace from each other and to aleviate any stress that is going on... which between the new tank cycling and lack of decorations, stress levels are probably pretty high right now.

1077 04-25-2008 05:30 AM

I would also recomend adding a couple air stones for extra oxygen for already stressed fish. :wink:

bettababy 04-25-2008 04:03 PM

Be careful adding too much circulation... that can cool water temps and too much circulation can also cause stress. 1 Air stone would be sufficient (with a small pump)