Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Favorite cories... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/favorite-cories-14105/)

Mating Slinkys 04-24-2008 05:10 PM

Favorite cories...

I'm sure this has been done before, but I am just planning to add a bunch more cories to my big tank. I have 3 axelrodi in there (sadly 2 others passed away, still not sure why, water and everything fine they just went pale and faded away over a week or so...) so I'm gonna bring them back up to 5-6 but i'm gonna get another shoal of 6-8. My LFS owner is a bit obsessed with cories and has about 20 different species in at the moment so I've got a good choice. Just wondered if you guys had any ideas. If he hasn't got them in he probably can so go wild - what you reckon is the perfect cory?

jeaninel 04-24-2008 05:26 PM

I love Sterbae cories and if I can talk my hubby into another tank I will probably get some. I also love my Schwartzi's and Trilineatus (False Julii).

1077 04-25-2008 03:16 AM

:P You may wish to visit www.planetcatfish.com you will find information on all of the catfish species. My particular favorite is nanus corydoras .

Oldman47 04-25-2008 09:27 PM

I just got some C. habrosus last week and right now they are my favorites. That will probably last until the next time I find a new or unusual cory to like better. Your best bet is to go to the place with 20 different ones to choose from and just watch the ones that appeal to you. If they are as active as you would like and are attractive to you, you have found the perfect corydoras for you.

Dave66 04-26-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghreed
I just got some C. habrosus last week and right now they are my favorites. That will probably last until the next time I find a new or unusual cory to like better. Your best bet is to go to the place with 20 different ones to choose from and just watch the ones that appeal to you. If they are as active as you would like and are attractive to you, you have found the perfect corydoras for you.

I don't know if I'd suggest habroses, since they are so tiny they are occasionally viewed as food by other fish, and I don't know what else the original poster has in his tank.

My favorites are my 12 Corydoras guapore with the 18 C. adolfi a close second.

Dave

Oldman47 04-26-2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghreed

I don't know if I'd suggest habroses, since they are so tiny they are occasionally viewed as food by other fish, and I don't know what else the original poster has in his tank.

My favorites are my 12 Corydoras guapore with the 18 C. adolfi a close second.

Dave

Sorry I wasn't explicit enough Dave, the point is the best cory is what looks good to you and acts the way you would want them to. In my tank it was habrosus but for each person its different. For mating_slinkies there is the advangtage that most of us don't have and that is a shop that actually has a good variety.

Mating Slinkys 04-27-2008 04:51 PM

Well, I went and had a look to see what was in there and despite originally wanting something a bit unusual and rare I went with Brochis Splendens. I know they ain't cories but they were really active, nicely coloured and very healthy looking. Plus they contrast nicely with the Axelrods I have in there already, being bigger and a completely differnt colour style. There were a number of interesting ones that were quite similar to the Axelrods but I wanted something different to what was already in there. There were some really nice wild caught ones in there too, but sadly I can't afford 80 for 4 fish!

One question though. I bought these to compliment my bottom section of the tank, but these guys seem to spend a lot of time swimming in mid-water. They aren't going up to gasp for air and look very helthy now they've settled in and coloured up but i thought they were bottom dwellers! I'm not bothered that they do this, it means I get to see them lots which is cool, but is it normal?

Oldman47 04-27-2008 06:47 PM

If I have a cory that only uses the bottom third of the tank I worry about it unless it is by itself. A single or even 2 cories of a type often will just cruise the bottom but if there are 5 or more they will use at least the bottom two thirds if not the whole tank. Like you said, that just makes them more interesting and easier to watch.