Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Filter Suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/filter-suggestions-14103/)

acidjed9 04-24-2008 01:18 PM

Filter Suggestions

I am thinking of upgrading my 55 Gallon to a 120 Gallon. It is a freshwater tank with Chiclids. I have a Oscar a Jack Dempsy Green Severum and a couple of smaller ones.

I've been looking at bigger tanks an alot of them seem to come with a Sump Filter. What are the thoughts on the best filtration?

Thanks

Keith[/list]

Age of Aquariums 04-24-2008 04:17 PM

For a FW tank, probably a canister filter or two.

Age of Aquariums 04-24-2008 04:20 PM

I think the FilStar XP3 would work. I'll PM you a link.

Oldman47 04-24-2008 05:14 PM

I have had an XP3 on a tank about that size for 3 years. It is doing great but beware, I do not overstock my tanks. If anything they are understocked so it may not be enough for a heavily stocked tank.

herefishy 04-24-2008 05:19 PM

I'd go controversial.

I'd use an undergravel filter protected by an "egg-crate" ceiling light diffuser, (2)Marineland 1140 powerheads with reverse flow adaptors, (2)Emperor 400 power filters, (2)Fluval 3+ internal power filters and (2)Magnum 350 or 360 canisters. This is an example of "layered" filtration. Each system working in unison with the other. This would be the ultimate in filtration, "filterus maximus", for the freshwater tank.

Inline heaters and UV sterilizers could be placed in the return lines of the Magnums, if you would want to further "turbocharge" the system . It won't be cheap, but it will be a highly efficient and effective system.

acidjed9 04-25-2008 07:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the canister filters. Herefishy I appreciate the advice but I don't think I'm ready for that kind of investment right now.

So I shouldn't bother with a sump pump? I've seen alot of talk over these when reading up on larger tanks. Are they worth the hassle of setting up? Would I need something like a canister filter as well as a sump?

Thanks again everyone.

herefishy 04-25-2008 09:45 AM

By setting up a sump, you have as much invested as you would with my suggestion. Although the initial cost of my proposed filtration scheme may seem High to many, the coast is justified when water purity is the goal. "Layered" filtration is the way to go. You can clean on element of the system without having to worry about causing "mini-cycles" in your tank. Much less stress on you fish and less death. Add to this the water flow and oxygenation of the water is very high. In a big tank, that is key. As I see it, you can do it now, or you'll be doing it later.

Having a large tank is more than having the large water capacity. The most important part of any aquarium is the filtration. Whether it be a small 5g tank or a massive 720g, the key to keeping it healthy is the filter system you choose. It protects you investment. To say that you don't want to make that king of investment now is ludicrous. Down the road you will be spending much more than your initial cost just replacing fish. Not to mention the time you will be investing with maintenance by slacking on the filtration now.

Water changes will still need to be done weekly. But, you will have an easier time with gravel sweeps and other tedious chores. The Filstar XP3 costs around $175-$200 each, depending upon your lfs. For that price you could almost have the system I suggested, around $400-$450, and you'd have an an awesome filtration system. It would be "layered" versus a single element system. So the investment is well worth it. Not only does it cost about the same, my suggestion is a much better way to go. You are getting a 4x better system for approximately the same amount of money.

Allow me to break it down here.

(2)Magnum 350 canisters ----------- $159.98
(2)Emperor 400 power filters ---------- 89.98
(2)Marineland 1140 power heads ---- 41.98
(2)Reverse flow kits --------------------- 10.90
(2)Fluval 3+ internal power filters ---- 75.98
(1)undergravel gravel filter ------------ 28.99

Total ------------------------------------- $341.81*

*Does not include the price of the "eggcrate" light diffuser which should cost about $10 at most home improvement stores.

The cost of (2)Filstar XP3 canister filters --$338.98

Note: all prices are from petsolutions.com which includes free shipping on orders over $199.

So, I hope I've broken it down enough for you to understand and broken down the myth of cost. As you can see, just because a filtration system is sounding complicated, it is not any more expensive.

An additional perk to reverse flow filtration. Due to its nature, pumping water up through the gravel instead of pulling it down, the substrate stays cleaner(fewer gravel sweeps) and the bio-bed has a more even flow of clean oxygenated water. This results in a cleaner healthier tank. By it pumping water "up", it forces any particulates up into the water column to be filtered out by the other "systems".

fish_4_all 04-25-2008 11:48 AM

If I was filtering a 120 with and Oscar, a JD, severum and other small fish I would use 2 cansiters because they are simple piggy fish and make a huge mess.

2 really big and powerfull HOB filters could do it but you would have to clean the gravel a lot.

Just make sure you getsometng that you can put a lot of biomedia in so that is has plenty of beneficial bacteria to handle that kind of load.