Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Kribs now HATE each other after spawning?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/kribs-now-hate-each-other-after-14098/)

gilfish 04-24-2008 10:11 AM

Kribs now HATE each other after spawning??

My Kribs had babies about 3 weeks ago and all is well with the kids. But now the male seems to be terrorizing the female. Chasing, nipping, etc. Do I remove one? Which do I remove????? Thanks!![/list]

1077 04-24-2008 10:51 AM

:shock: Normally both parents care for the young.If aggression becomes severe or to the point that neither is caring for the young ,I would probably remove the male. It could be he is once more expressing interest in breeding and she is being less than receptive (women) .In the extreme he could view the young as detrimental to his efforts or competiton and dispose of them.

Cody 04-24-2008 06:52 PM

Are the fry still with the parents? Are there any other fish in the tank?

I have seen a lot of breeding Kribs who can potentially take their anger out on each other. Sometimes, if you add "target fish," (annoying, fast swimming fish who will go for the fry), the parents will work together as a team in order to protect the fry.

1077 could be correct if they fry are no longer in the tank.

gilfish 04-24-2008 07:15 PM

Yes, the 6 fry are still with the parents. They are in a 55G with 20 other fish but they are separated with about a 12-13 gallon place to themselves. ANY OTHER ADVICE?? I feel bad for the female who is just getting chased all over the place. But the fry are fine. I fear putting another fish in there will eat tyhe fry who are only a 2 weeks old. :shock: [/u]

Cody 04-24-2008 08:11 PM

The kribs should be able to fight off the other fish, espically since the babies are at 2 weeks old. Most that pass the 9-day mark (from what I have seen/heard at my LFS's) usually make it.

What other fish are in the tank?

Ziek 04-25-2008 01:36 AM

My room mate had a similar problem to the one you are having. He set up a mesh container that hung over the side of tank into the water and put the fry in their. It's been working very well, especially if they do decide to spawn again. They will often eat their current young if they spawn again.

1077 04-25-2008 07:42 AM

I do not believe original poster had issue with krib fry.In any event the more hiding places you can provide for dwarf cichlids and most other cichlids , the less aggression. :wink:

Ziek 04-25-2008 10:07 AM

I'm aware he wasn't having a problem with his fry, I should probably have been more specific with my response. His were fighting with each other. The male was protecting the fry from the female. When the fry were taken away they calmed down.

1077 04-25-2008 10:26 AM

Original poster stated that fry were indeed separated but that he felt bad for female who was still being harrassed by the male, hence my suggestion of more hiding places to quell the aggression to some degree. :wink:

herefishy 04-25-2008 10:59 AM

I would remove the male. The male is the aggressor of the species. The female will take up the responsibility of protecting the brood. I about 4-6 weeks, you can reintroduce the male. The female will have had a chance to recover and should be more receptive to his advances. The fry should also be on their own by that time.