Tropical Fish Keeping banner

help me get rid of the algae

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Flashygrrl 
#1 ·
I have allot of algae, looks like 3 different types. The first type is just on the plants, its is a black growth around the edges of the plants. Next are just small green circles all over the glass. And the last kind is green hair like stuff and it is on every surface in the tank. I initially thought all the algae would clear itself up after a while but were going on 3 months here. Just wondering what I can do. I have a bottle of algae destroyer I bought a long time ago, I havent used it because I have been getting more and more hesitant about adding things to my tank as of late unless I know exactly what they do, is that stuff okay?

#2 ·
System was certified cycled 3 months ago, ph stays around 8, ammonia 0, nitrates 0, gH 5 degrees. My tap water is pretty soft and is always a little alkaline 7.5 ish. I have been doing 5 gallon water changes twice a week since the tank was new. I have a 65 watt light however the bulb is not ideal 10,000k/420nm. I add liquid flourish once a week (half of a cap full as recommended on the bottle) and of coarse dechlorinator with the new water. I have 3 pearl gouramis, 6 glowlight tetras, 9 neon tetras, 3 yoyo loaches. All of the fish are less than 3 months old and seem to be doing great. I have many plants, I don’t know the exact names off hand, but Amazon sward types, anubias, a moss ball, elodea, and some others. Tank is 36 gallon bow 30”wide 18” deep

#3 ·
The cause could be one of numerous causes. I'm going to try and see if we can't narrow it down a bit.

1. How many hours do you keep your lights on.
2. How long have you had the bulbs that are in your light fixture.
3. Does your tank get sunlight from a window.
4. the water params help but what is your phosphate, that often has
something to do with algae.

#6 ·
Ziek said:
The cause could be one of numerous causes. I'm going to try and see if we can't narrow it down a bit.

1. How many hours do you keep your lights on.
2. How long have you had the bulbs that are in your light fixture.
3. Does your tank get sunlight from a window.
4. the water params help but what is your phosphate, that often has
something to do with algae.
I keep the light on 12 hours a day, its on a timer.
I get some sunlight shining in my window for about 4 hours a day in the morning starting about 2 hours before the light comes on, but it doesnt directly hit the tank. I got this light fixture with the bulb about a month ago, before that i had a 20 watt bulb. the green hiarlike algae is a new developement since the new light, and it is the one I find myself constantly scrapeing off. I dont have a test for phosphate, I will get one if its important. I do know phospate is in the plant food that I add weekly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.