Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Problem getting grudgeon to eat (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/problem-getting-grudgeon-eat-14065/)

betz1106 04-23-2008 08:54 AM

Problem getting grudgeon to eat
 
I have a 50 gal community tank with various species in there:

gouramis
clown loaches
Red Minor Serpae Tetras
neon tetras
killfish
Pakistani Loach
paradise fish
zebra danio
flying foxes
swordtails
black/white mollies
platties
pair of salvini chichlids

and i was at petsmart the other day and saw a groudgeon and got one. Cool little fish, seems to like being on his own but here is my problem:

I can't get him to eat. I will go to the top when I feed the others (good quality flake) suck in the flake and then spit it back out right away. I like the little guy so i have been doing research. It seems that flake is not the way to go with these guys and they need live/freeze dried food.

So my question is, how the heck am I going to be assured that he gets some of the live/freeze dried food if I start throwing that in there with the flake?

Any suggestions would be helpful

herefishy 04-23-2008 12:55 PM

Try feeding frozen shrimp or other types like daphnia and blood worms or shrimp flakes or pellets.

iamntbatman 04-24-2008 02:35 PM

How do these fish fare in a community tank? I think they're really neat looking, but have been unwilling to experiment since they're so expensive online. However, my LFS just started stocking them at a decent price. After I move my kribs to another tank, do you think a peacock or two would do alright in a community with peppered cories, dwarf gouramis, and zebra danios? They won't bug my mystery snails, will they?

betz1106 04-29-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
How do these fish fare in a community tank? I think they're really neat looking, but have been unwilling to experiment since they're so expensive online. However, my LFS just started stocking them at a decent price. After I move my kribs to another tank, do you think a peacock or two would do alright in a community with peppered cories, dwarf gouramis, and zebra danios? They won't bug my mystery snails, will they?

at this point they have been great.

i now have 2 purple spot because the single was just hiding all the time and never came out and I figured that if I got a second one they might move around......and I was right. They are now all over the tank

I have gouramis and danios and they have no problems with them. I don't have cories, but I do have loaches and they don't bother them at all.

They really like to "hide" near vegetation. They rarely go into the HUGE rock structure that I have made in my tank.

I have fixed the eating problem by throwing in a frozen block of shrimp......it took them about 2 or 3 days to figure out that they liked that stuff and to get over there and get it before the gourami's/molly's get to it.

They still will not take flake food at all, so the way I have to feed is to put in the flake to distract the other fish and have the cube partially dethawed so some of the shrimp starts sinking down to them to get their attention and then they come up and start feeding.

I will say this, once the other fish realize that I am feeding the shrimp they ignore the flake and finish the shrimp before the flake gets touched.

I have no clue on the snails as I don't have any in my tank.

As far as price, the purple spot are beautiful, and I got my 2 at petsmart. Petsmart had their price slashed to $5 a piece.....don't ask me why, but they did.

betz1106 05-08-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
How do these fish fare in a community tank? I think they're really neat looking, but have been unwilling to experiment since they're so expensive online. However, my LFS just started stocking them at a decent price. After I move my kribs to another tank, do you think a peacock or two would do alright in a community with peppered cories, dwarf gouramis, and zebra danios? They won't bug my mystery snails, will they?

as a follow up to my post and your question.

I am now at week 2 with 2 of them in there and for the past week my fish have been turning up attacked in the morning. I have lost 3 fish at this point one of which was my fav red fire dwarf gourami. All were attacked and you could see where they were tagged at. My other fish in that tank had lived in it peacefully for 3+ months.

The only thing I can think of is that the grudgeons are getting aggressive. They are VERY aggressive at feeding time chasing everyone else away from the shrimp other than 2 of my fish (huge moonlight gourami and a big pearl gourami)

If it keeps up I might be getting a 10 gallon just for those 2 because i love them. They are beautiful fish.

iamntbatman 05-08-2008 12:37 PM

Hmm...I would think a more likely candidate for the damage might be your paradise fish, your cichlids or some of the gouramis. Those salviniis get pretty big and mean, especially at spawning time. The gudgeons might be aggressive but they're still pretty small so I'm not sure if they're really capable of killing fish bigger than themselves.

betz1106 05-09-2008 02:25 PM

sorry I need to edit that

I don't have a salvani.....it was a guess as to what mine were as they were from lfs and were tagged dwarf cichlid and i now knwo that it is not a salvani since they are TINY. I am going to get a pic because I can't get a straight answer as to what kind of fish they are. primarly yellow body black strip down middle, red around all fins but black interior, one has some electric blue around the gills.

and the paradise fish is one of the latest that got tagged.

I have 1 blue paradise who is dead now and one tiger stripped that was tagged......the blue didn't make it and the tiger stripped is making its way back.

The other ones were mikey mouse = dead and a flame gourami = dead

iamntbatman 05-09-2008 03:16 PM

You keep saying "tagged" and I'm thinking fish hickes. Does it look like something took a chunk out of their sides, like stripping the scales off in a circle and exposing some flesh? If that's what the injuries look like, I'd start suspecting that maybe your flying foxes are actually chinese algae eaters and doing some damage.

betz1106 05-12-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
You keep saying "tagged" and I'm thinking fish hickes. Does it look like something took a chunk out of their sides, like stripping the scales off in a circle and exposing some flesh? If that's what the injuries look like, I'd start suspecting that maybe your flying foxes are actually chinese algae eaters and doing some damage.

I actually got these from the LFS who I trust completely and totally. We got 3/4 of the fish that are in the tank that day and the guy told us that every fish we got would be ok in the size tank that we have.

He told us that they were flying foxes, and that with it being a 50 tall that they would primarily stay near the bottom and on the rock that we have in the tank.

the wounds are normally vertical and about 1/4 of an inch long.

we are not on day 7 of no issues with the fish. So I am not sure what it was, but if it happens I will yank out those flying chinese foxy algae eaters and see what happens.

thanks for the suggestion

theubc 06-07-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betz1106

i now have 2 purple spot because the single was just hiding all the time and never came out and I figured that if I got a second one they might move around......and I was right. They are now all over the tank

I have gouramis and danios and they have no problems with them. I don't have cories, but I do have loaches and they don't bother them at all.

They really like to "hide" near vegetation. They rarely go into the HUGE rock structure that I have made in my tank.

I have fixed the eating problem by throwing in a frozen block of shrimp......it took them about 2 or 3 days to figure out that they liked that stuff and to get over there and get it before the gourami's/molly's get to it.

They still will not take flake food at all, so the way I have to feed is to put in the flake to distract the other fish and have the cube partially dethawed so some of the shrimp starts sinking down to them to get their attention and then they come up and start feeding.

I will say this, once the other fish realize that I am feeding the shrimp they ignore the flake and finish the shrimp before the flake gets touched.

I have no clue on the snails as I don't have any in my tank.

As far as price, the purple spot are beautiful, and I got my 2 at petsmart. Petsmart had their price slashed to $5 a piece.....don't ask me why, but they did.

this helped me a lot with my purple spot
i have yet to feed him but i just got it today and i will try the flake trick
all my danios seem to destroy the block of bloodworms really quick and the goby cant ever get to it

also i have only one goby
you think it will be fine alone?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2