Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Injured cory! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/injured-cory-140617/)

jennesque 03-30-2013 01:19 PM

Injured cory!

I just came home to find one of my cories, stuck on my power head! His little body was stuck on the little hole at the top of the outlet..

He looks super skinny now, his stomach looks like it's got a small hole bore into it.. It's white. His side has red lines down it and he looks awful. He is breathing though.. And tries to swim, though not very sucessfully. I've got him in a net hanging from the top of the tank with some plants in there..

What should I do? :/

OSagent23 03-30-2013 01:56 PM

I've seen this happen before. Honesty is hard to accept but if the hole doesn't close soon he will succumb to disease and eventually die. I'm sorry to hear this happened. Best you could do is if you have a spair tank place him in there by himself and let see if time will heal him without any other fish bothering him. If you don't have a spare tank leave him in the net and see if time will help him heal there.

jennesque 03-30-2013 02:08 PM

I have a spare tank.. No spare filter though. I'm in the process of switching around my filter.

I'll probably stick him in the spare tank and just do water changes.

:/ I hope he can make it.. Any meds I should get, or anything I should look for to start him on meds if it does happen?
Posted via Mobile Device

OSagent23 03-30-2013 05:14 PM

I don't know of any meds that can be given for this. Sorry

jennesque 03-30-2013 06:07 PM

OK.. Didn't know if he needed any antibacterial things

He's looking worse.. I don't think he'll make it. Poor little guy. The power head will be going for sure now. My cories, love getting in and around my filters!

I got the power head because they kept swimming down into the output tube of my sponge filter when it was connected to just an air pump. They'd be stuck in there like once every week or two!
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-30-2013 07:23 PM

Hopefully it's spines don't get stuck in the net in the meantime.

Pearl2011 03-31-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennesque (Post 1591937)
OK.. Didn't know if he needed any antibacterial things

He's looking worse.. I don't think he'll make it. Poor little guy. The power head will be going for sure now. My cories, love getting in and around my filters!

I got the power head because they kept swimming down into the output tube of my sponge filter when it was connected to just an air pump. They'd be stuck in there like once every week or two!
Posted via Mobile Device

I would get an antibacterial med to help prevent infection. Could you put panty hose or something over the outlet of the power head?? Not to sure how power heads work

jennesque 03-31-2013 05:06 PM

The cory already passed. :/

On the outlet tube, there's a small pencil size hole at the top with a lot of suction.. Panty hose wouldn't help, it's the suction that is the problem, cause it's such a small area.

I took out the power head.. I've got it hooked up to an air pump and I'm trying to switch to a canister filter. That'll have a sponge on the intake though! Poor, poor cories.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pearl2011 03-31-2013 07:41 PM

Aw I'm so sorry :-( I'm sure you tried to save him.

And yes, sponge over the filter is a good idea. Just be sure to clean it off occasionally, i dont know if you have plants or not, but it looks icky if all the plant bits and poop gets stuck to it. Not very aesthetically pleasing:-D

jennesque 03-31-2013 07:54 PM

Yeah.. That's how my sponge filter gets so I'm quite familiar.

I did try to save him.. He looked terrible though. He was probably half the width he should've been.. And it looked like his spine would've been injured. He was stuck sideways to the little hole. :/ I feel terrible.. Poor, poor guy. I'm glad I did spot him while he was still alive though.. He might've been in pain, but I hope he wasn't too stressed out in the end.
Posted via Mobile Device