Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   what eats insects & can live in a 10 gal tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/what-eats-insects-can-live-10-a-14034/)

coyle 04-21-2008 08:30 PM

what eats insects & can live in a 10 gal tank?

This ancient fish section is definitely the place for me; these are all of my favorite fish here. Now I have a couple pounds of freeze dried mealies & crickets from a reptile that I no longer have & a ten gallon tank; so, I'm thinking of getting a puffer but would appreciate any suggestions as to what would eat the insects and be ok in this tank (there's a little cave in the bottom too from the reptile.) Ghostknife, butterfly fish etc I love them all.

herefishy 04-22-2008 01:46 AM

Gambusia, although not an ancient fish, a real bug eater. AKA the mosquito fish.

okiemavis 04-22-2008 06:20 PM

Butterfly fish are good bug eaters too.

coyle 04-22-2008 09:43 PM

I've been thinking about the butterfly fish. Maybe I'll put it higher on my list. That gambusia looks like a molly, don't think such a small fish would be able to eat those big insects I've got, but the butterfly fish sure could.
The down side is I don't think it would be compatible with the puffers. Now, maybe I won't get puffers. What would be good with a butterfly fish that is ancient and eats bugs? This is getting interesting. Thanks

Falina 04-22-2008 09:54 PM

An African butterfly Fish is way too big for a 10g I'm afraid. I would stick with some Gambusia like Bob suggested.

coyle 04-23-2008 07:19 PM

gambusia? isn't that a tiny fish like a molly? that's too small to eat those crickets and mealworms. I'm going to go look at some dwarf puffers tomorrow, maybe that'll work out. I'll let ya know.

Lupin 04-23-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyle
gambusia? isn't that a tiny fish like a molly? that's too small to eat those crickets and mealworms. I'm going to go look at some dwarf puffers tomorrow, maybe that'll work out. I'll let ya know.

Gambusia affinis is commonly known as mosquito fish and it is not a molly. It is not a community fish either with the tendency to nip others.

coyle 04-24-2008 06:11 PM

"These fish are native to the watershed of the Gulf of Mexico"

Ok, now I know where I've seen them: I was raised around the above mentioned watershed. Always wondered what those were. We have lots of fish farms in the area so mollys and the like would get in the ditches and brackish estuary. Yeah, I cought tons of those as a kid. They're not something I'd want in an aquarium though I'm glad to have found out what they are called.

The pet store up the street said they were going to have dwarf puffers in today but what they got was figure 8s, that's what he thought a dwarf was.
Anyhoo, I bought one, it should work out ok alone in the tank. Do you know Anything that could be put in with a figure 8 puffer or is that going to be it?

iamntbatman 04-24-2008 07:10 PM

One Figure 8 in a ten gallon is about all you're going to be able to put in there. For one, puffers are messy fish. Also, puffers can be pretty nasty so would likely kill anything else you tried to put with it.

coyle 04-26-2008 06:43 PM

I took the puffer back. I want more than one fish and like you say they are nasty. I'm going to try an ABF in there. I'm ordering on on tues; if it gets too big I can always get a bigger tank down the road. One good thing is I've got a completely closed cover so it can't jump out. Now what I want are fish that don't move around a lot. Like my pleco and lacy catfish.
Any suggestions? And if they eat insects as well so much the better. Th'x!