Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Persistent Cloudy Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/persistent-cloudy-water-14018/)

nikkigill50 04-21-2008 08:50 AM

Persistent Cloudy Water

My tank is over a year old and I suddenly have cloudy water. I haven't added any new fish or ornaments to the tank lately, the only changes I have made in the last 3 weeks was that I removed all of the gravel to take out the pure laterite that was mixed in with it, and I put a new sponge in my filter, which I rinsed first. I can't understand it. I have done 25% water changes for 3 days and it looked a bit better, but after leaving it for another 2 days its getting really murky again.

Any ideas whats wrong??

1077 04-21-2008 08:56 AM

ammonia readings are needed in order to help you. It is possible that by removing the gravel or substrate and replacing the filter ,that you have destroyed the bio- bed or beneficial bacteria needed to break down the harmful chemicals in your tank. :cry:

nikkigill50 04-21-2008 10:55 AM

Geez, I didn't even think about that with the gravel. What an idiot.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5.0

Should I be doing 25% water changes each day? I have added some rocks and ornaments that I have taken out of the tank a little white ago - will they still have some of the beneficial bacteria on them even though they have been sitting?

1077 04-21-2008 11:25 AM

Pobably very little. You may have to cycle your tank again. But look at it this way , You now have the opportunity to make any and all changes you wish . If you should have to cycle again and wish to do it fishless, you could use a large raw cocktail shrimp. As it decays it will produce the needed ammonia and water changes will not be so fequent . It will take about the same length of time to cycle and ammonia should not be allowed to get too high while bacteria is establishing itself. :wink:

1077 04-21-2008 11:26 AM

Pobably very little. You may have to cycle your tank again. But look at it this way , You now have the opportunity to make any and all changes you wish . If you should have to cycle again and wish to do it fishless, you could use a large raw cocktail shrimp. As it decays it will produce the needed ammonia and water changes will not be so fequent . It will take about the same length of time to cycle and ammonia should not be allowed to get too high while bacteria is establishing itself. :wink:

nikkigill50 04-21-2008 04:30 PM

So, what action should I take while it is recycling? Keep checking for high numbers in ammonia and nitrite and if so, do water changes?

okiemavis 04-21-2008 04:59 PM

Yeah, just keep doing water changes if those levels rise- hopefully it won't be too bad.