Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   29G opinions.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/29g-opinions-14008/)

Dtld9 04-20-2008 10:00 PM

29G opinions....

I have a 29g set up and as of now I have 5 panda cories. I want to put a dwarf gourami maybe 2 in at a later date and some ottos. What else would do good in here, with the gouramis and cories? It is going to be a mid-heavily planted tank.

Lupin 04-21-2008 12:29 AM

Re: 29G opinions....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtld9
I have a 29g set up and as of now I have 5 panda cories. I want to put a dwarf gourami maybe 2 in at a later date and some ottos. What else would do good in here, with the gouramis and cories? It is going to be a mid-heavily planted tank.

You can't have three males in one tank. All dwarf gouramis are males and are not as hardy as they used to be either. You need to think carefully before you buy these fish. If I were you, resort to sparkling gouramis or honey gouramis. Rasboras and otos will suit your tank fine if you have enough algae supply for the latter.

Dtld9 04-21-2008 07:02 AM

Well when I said 1 or 2, I meant if I can find a female, sorry I didn't say that :oops: I have a bad habit of only writing half of what I'm thinking. My sister works at a fish store so I can usually get what I ask her to order so I may be able to get the female. Would a male and female be alright together?

Lupin 04-21-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtld9
Well when I said 1 or 2, I meant if I can find a female, sorry I didn't say that :oops: I have a bad habit of only writing half of what I'm thinking. My sister works at a fish store so I can usually get what I ask her to order so I may be able to get the female. Would a male and female be alright together?

I doubt the chance of obtaining the female. If the source is from Asia, then there is no chance getting a female gourami at all. Both will work fine but the chances of finding a female is very slim.

Torn 04-21-2008 11:48 AM

I was warned that I would have a hard time finding a female Dwarf Gourami but I went to my lfs at the weekend and they sell them in pairs. I live in the UK so maybe it's more common over here, I don't know. When my tank has cycled I plan on getting a pair of Gouramis and some Corys like you, also a school of Cardinal Tetras and a Bristlenose Catfish.

Jpet 04-25-2008 06:10 PM

In my 29 gallon I have a Dwarf Gourami, 14 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 pepperd corys and a mystery snail. At one time I had 2 Dwarf Gouramis, be warned one WILL become dominant and the other will rarely come out of hiding.

Dtld9 04-26-2008 12:29 AM

I already know that I can't have more than 1 happy male gourami that's why I mentioned trying to get a female.