Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   newbie here, wondering what fish to get that eat insects (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/newbie-here-wondering-what-fish-get-14006/)

coyle 04-20-2008 08:46 PM

newbie here, wondering what fish to get that eat insects

Hi,

I've had fish in the past (I live in Hillsborough County FL where most of the tropical fish are raised.)

Right now I don't have any fish but want to get something that I can feed freeze dried mealworms and crickets as I have a couple pounds of it and can get good prices in the future.

I've got a small ten gallon tank so just off the top of my head I'm thinking of maybe a puffer and some snails; but figure someone out there might have some other suggestions.

Thanks!

willow 04-21-2008 04:07 PM

hello and welcome.
hopefully won't be long before someone will advise you
on your quest.

Amphitrite 04-21-2008 04:54 PM

Hello there coyle, welcome to the forum :)

coyle 04-21-2008 09:12 PM

Yeah, thanks. I'm surprised there haven't been any suggestions. Maybe it isn't that popular but I did research the puffers a bit more and they say actually that they need something like that to keep their beaks from growing too long so unless I hear of a better idea I'll be getting a puffer.

willow 04-22-2008 11:17 AM

hmmmm,well i feed my puffers, snails,blood worm.
small shrimp,they are still very small,and although theyare
dwarves,i will wait a bit before i give them anything else.
i can't remember reading anywhere about meal worms
and crickets.

Jpet 04-25-2008 05:55 PM

I think that a 10 gallon would be to small for any thing that would eat crickets and mealworms. If you wanted to get a bigger tank, I would say get an Oscar they are eating machines.

coyle 05-08-2008 03:32 PM

Hmm, I was thinking about an oscar and aquarium size is no biggie; I can always get a bigger one later on. Around here used tank setups are cheap.
So you think an oscar will eat those freeze dried insects? Makes sense as they are like you said eating machines. Perhaps I'll give it a try. Next week the LFS is going to order me a spotted puffer so in the meantime I'll try out an oscar (they have a 7 day return policy.) Thanks for the advice!

Amphitrite 05-08-2008 03:36 PM

I keep a gecko, and feed him live crickets and mealworms. Now and again as a treat I would chuck a few into one of my tanks and the severums would devour them in seconds.

coyle 05-14-2008 12:31 PM

Ok, I've tried some different fish out. Just got some figure 8 puffers, they aren't eating the mealworms yet but I had some green spotted ones that did & I've seen a utube video of a figure 8 eating one so...since I only have a ten gallon tank those severums won't work. I have to go take one of the figure 8s back as it's not doing so well. 3 puffers are too many for this little tank anyways, I just had credit from the butterfly fish I returned.

It'sJames 05-14-2008 02:28 PM

Welcome to the forum! :D

The only freshwater puffer that should be kept in a 10 gallon is a dwarf puffer, but they are too small to eat crickets. I'm not sure about mealworms - depends on how big they are. Even one F8 in a 10 gallon will be too much. F8s will need 15-20 gallons. Same for the GSP - they need at least 30 gallons.