Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   angelfish sick (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/angelfish-sick-1400/)

girlofgod 11-16-2006 10:19 AM

angelfish sick

what is it when you have a fish that is still "breathing" but cant swim? i am familiar with swim bladder, and i'm pretty sure that's when they swim upside down, and funny, etc. but this one i just got yesterday, and she's not swimming at all...she also hasnt eaten since i put her in the tank. i would like to save her if at all possible. i currently have moved her to a quarintine tank, but i'm not quite sure how to treat her. i am keeping the temp high, have added melafix, and a pinch of salt. what else should i do? does this sound familiar to anyone else?

she has no marks, or sores, or anything on her to show that she's sick, fins are perfectly intact, etc.

47 gallon column
3 other angels
2 danios
ph 7.8
nitrates 10
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
temp 82

bri

girlofgod 11-16-2006 11:56 AM

nevermind..it died...i dont know what happened..i brought two of them home, and the other one is fine...oh well

bri

girlofgod 11-16-2006 06:03 PM

i would like to know if anyone has any info about this...or what they think it might be...just curious...thanks!

bri

joeshmoe 11-16-2006 08:40 PM

i had two angel fish one died over night of the same day and the other one died 4 days later. they were pooping stringy so i think it was internal

crazie.eddie 11-16-2006 08:56 PM

Sorry to hear. I'm currently treating one of my original angels for swim bladder, but due to it's old age, it probably will not be any help, from what I have been told. I had it for over 7 years already (lifespan of angels is about 5 years) and I'm not giving up on it's treatment. I've been treating it for about 4 weeks now. Luckily, it's been eating through the use of a turkey baster, which it's already been familiar with.

bettababy 11-16-2006 11:19 PM

The lifespan for a standard freshwater angelfish is 15 - 20 yrs.
The problem almost sounds as if it could have been stress related. Angelfish are not as sturdy as some people claim they are. Was there a size difference between the angel that died and the others? How much decoration is in the tank?
Angelfish can stress quite easily, and are sensitive to change, water params, and temperature fluctuations. What kind of acclimation did you do for the new angels? Were they in the same bag togther when you brought them home and acclimated them?
It's going to be impossible to say for sure what happened now that it has died and we weren't able to obtain an autopsy. There are at least a dozen different illnesses it could have had, so I would suggest watching the others closely over the next week or 2.

girlofgod 11-17-2006 10:21 AM

i could send you one for an autopsy...i have an extra fish...lol....actually, two have since died...and i have two left, my original large angel, and a small new addition. there was a size difference between ONE of the angels...and the other three...the three were small. there is a LOT of plant coverage in my tank, so much i can hardly find them sometimes...so i know that wasnt the issue..the were acclimated on different days...i brought one "batch" or two fish, of angels home sometime last week and i acclimate them for about 30 minutes, letting them float in the main tank and then adding water from the tank every 5-10 minutes. one of the fish from the first batch died a couple of days ago...so i took it back to the store and brought home the "second batch" or 2 more fish, leaving a grand total of 4 angelfish in my tank. i figured the 2nd batch i brought home would do fine because i talked to the woman at the pet store (some family owned place and theirs tanks were immaculate) and she said that she had had those two fish for over 2 weeks, so i thought they would live. as soon as i got them home i noticed the striped one was hiding in the corner alot (i thought due to stress of a new environment, etc) and when she finally came out i noticed she was having trouble swimming, and then i put her in a hospital tank where i raised the temp and added a little melafix and salt, and she died. ThEN i noticed that one of my other angels (from the FIRST batch) started swimming funny and hiding, and i came in and found him on the filter. so i have two left, and they seem to be doing fine...i am going to take a water sample in today and ask for it to be done with the liquid master kit, which i dont have...anyways...any guesses?

bettababy 11-17-2006 12:33 PM

I'm interested in knowing the water params... especially pH.
Until I know those, I'll wait to say more.

JouteiMike 11-17-2006 12:42 PM

She has them posted up in the first post Bettababy...

ph 7.8
nitrates 10
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
temp 82

I think the pH has something to do with it. Angelfish thrive in more acidic water conditions in the wild. Your pH is too basic. Try and get it down closer to neutral, and if you can, slightly acidic (6.5 - 6.9) would be ideal.

How hard is your water? Angelfish prefer soft water, around 0.6-1.2 dH

girlofgod 11-17-2006 01:54 PM

my ph is about 7.4-7.6 according to the liquid master test kit...all my params were listed in my first post, also, although my ph is a little high, my water is very soft...which is weird...it could just be the fish weren't going to live anyways...cuz the guy at the lfs said that all of the other angels that came in with batch 1 died in the tank...which is sad =( ohwell..

bri