Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   are any of these good skimmers? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/any-these-good-skimmers-13991/)

thinhthan 04-20-2008 05:15 AM

are any of these good skimmers?

SeaClone Protein Skimmers or
Needle Wheel Super Protein Skimmers or
Fisson Power Protein Skimmers or Prizm Deluxe Aquarium Protein Skimmers or which one of the back pack?

Pasfur 04-20-2008 07:53 AM

Glad to see you ask this question!-)

I have used the Seaclone on several tanks over the years. It is effective for your type of tank, which means it is good for a fish only system which already has adequate biological filtration.

In fact, I have a new Seaclone simmer sitting in my living room. It is going on a 37 gallon aquarium which i have on special order. I will run the system very similar to what you will now have. I'm using a Penguin 330, a Seaclone, and a UV sterilizer. I plan to keep simple fish, and change 10 gallons of water weekly, or whatever is necessary to keep Nitrate under 20ppm.

This isn't the ideal setup, but on a small aquarium water changes are easy. Selecting the appropriate fish will be the most important factor in success, given the small space and need for frequent water changes.

If you order the Seaclone, you should also buy a MaxiJet 750 power head with a venturi adapter. The power head included with the Seaclone is not effective.

I am familiar with the other skimmers you ask about, although I have no personal expereince. I think the design of the Needle Wheel makes it the best of all 4, although the price is a bit more. The Fisson Power design looks like it will put bubbles into your aquarium, which is a common problem for hang on units. The Prizm skimmer has a difficult collection cup to remove, which is enough for me to not buy it. The SeaClone has an easy to remove collection cup, and bubbles entering the aquarium is not a problem.

On a side note, you should also look at the CPR units. They make a model which incorporates a biological filter and a protein skimmer all in one hang on unit. For a 55 gallon, this would replace your biowheels, add a skimmer, and dramatically reduce the need for water changes. But they are a bit more expensive than the options you have posted. Which is why i also chose the SeaClone.-)

thinhthan 04-20-2008 02:55 PM

thanks a whole lot pasfur you been a good help with me. hopefully i can get this tank up and running and hopefully no fish dies? lol

Pasfur 04-20-2008 07:51 PM

Thats my goal! When you get past the set up stage and are ready to buy fish, be sure you ask just as many questions! Selecting healthy and compatable fish is very important. And you can't count on the LFS to know the answers!

thinhthan 04-21-2008 05:51 AM

thanks alot! how long should i leave the tank to cycle with live sand before i should get fishes?

Pasfur 04-21-2008 06:15 AM

You also have live rock, correct? Assuming you do....

With live rock and live sand you should have very little cycling process. You already have all of the beneficial bacteria which you need on the live rock and sand. Sometimes there is some organic decay from deep within the rock, so i would suggest waiting a week or so while testing for ammonia and nitrite, just to be certain that your levels will not elevate. If both ammonia and nitrite stay zero, then you can begin adding fish. SLOWLY.

If you do not have live rock, then you will need to cycle your aquarium the traditional way. The live sand will help "seed" the biofilter, but you will still need to allow colonies of bacteria to grow on your biofilter to support fish. You can add "starter" fish, such as Damsels, to cycle the aquarium. Or, you can also add ammonia to the aquarium directly. ( Google the topic)
Or you can add some live rock, which is the preferred method today.

Either way, be sure you have a list of fish up front. You will want to add the fish to the aquarium in a specific order, based on compatibility and territorial behaviors. (ALL fish exhibit territorial behavior to some degree.)

thinhthan 04-21-2008 08:06 PM

thanks alot all i got for now is the sand but ill make sure to add some rock