Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Turning a lizard habitat into an aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/turning-lizard-habitat-into-aquarium-1398/)

dprUsh83 11-15-2006 10:23 PM

Turning a lizard habitat into an aquarium

I posted on craigslist that I'd be interested in trading a 30 gallon tank for a larger tank (just to see what interest was out there). Within 20 minutes I've had two responses, which is kind of surprising. Anyways, there is a guy who said he may be interested in trading a 60 gallon tank to me, but it's currently home to a bearded dragon. If he actually wanted to trade, is it possible to convert it to a fish tank without there being any dangerous toxins left in the environment?

joeshmoe 11-15-2006 10:28 PM

thats more up to u ive seen people use diff tanks for stuff. if it has no leaks it might me good buy but the sides might be messed up from its nails

JouteiMike 11-15-2006 10:46 PM

Yeah, it's up to you. I would do it. Just make sure you rinse it off really well. If you're still worried, I'd get some "Safe & Easy" an give it a secondary wipe down. If it doesn't leak, then you're good to go.

dprUsh83 11-15-2006 11:05 PM

Awesome, I think I'll do it then. Anybody have any recommendations for checking leaks? I've never done it before, I'd imagine just filling it with water and watching it for a day or two, but if I'm off base let me know! :D

crazie.eddie 11-15-2006 11:11 PM

I would be carefull. Reptile tanks are NOT made to hold water. Fortunately, most of the reptile tanks have a paper label on the bottom, which can be viewed from looking inside the tank, stating that it is not made to hold water.

The best way to check it for leaks is just to add water and leave it there for a couple of days. I normally like to fill the tank all the way up the very top. Watch for bowing of the glass. Reptile tanks, I believe, are thinner glass, since they're not made to support water.

I would also add bleach to the tank to kill an bacteria.

dprUsh83 11-15-2006 11:14 PM

Thanks for the advice, eddie. The tank looks like any other aquarium, but it is something to check out. I attached a picture of the aquarium, it looks very nice.

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/222_Bearded_1.jpg

JouteiMike 11-15-2006 11:26 PM

That looks like a typical aquairum, a really nice one. Doesn't appear to be a tank specifically for reptiles, so you should be good. But yeah, test to see if it leaks and for bows in the glass.

dprUsh83 11-16-2006 12:32 AM

Great, thanks for the advice! I'm going nuts wanting to hear back on his final e-mail to assure that it's all going down as planned. I'd love to see my Oscar swimming from side to side in that beautiful tank! :D

JouteiMike 11-16-2006 01:06 AM

Haha well good luck. Seems like a good deal, you getting the stand as well?

Be sure to ask the guy specific questions. Like how he bought it, how old it is, if it is or isn't in fact a reptile specific tank, and why he is getting rid of it.

bettababy 11-16-2006 02:06 AM

All great advice, I'd listen to all of it, especially the part about the reptile specific aquariums. That appears to be a standard allglass tank, but my husband works for allglass aquariums, and not all of the tanks are designed for fish. As already stated, they should be marked.
And, use the bleach!!! Any sprays or other chemicals that may have been used for the lizards will be toxic for fish. Bleach is the only really safe chemical to clean and sterilize an aquarium to make it fish safe. You can do this easily while checking for leaks, provided it's not in a place where, if it leaks, the bleach will harm anything. After cleaning with bleach, rinse it until the bleach smell is gone, and then let it air dry for about a week, to make sure all of the bleach has evaporated. The silicone seals will take a bit longer to dry than will the glass.
Congrats and hope all goes as planned, you oscar will surely appreciate the space!