Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   So how did YOR fish obsession get started? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/so-how-did-yor-fish-obsession-13969/)

cajunmomof4 04-19-2008 01:30 PM

So how did YOR fish obsession get started?

I think mine started when I was 6 and I got a 10 gallon tank with some guppies. I loved them I would sit for hours and watch them. We kept that tank until I was in highschool, and it rotated between guppies and mixed tropicals.
Then when I got married the first time I got a little 2.5 gallon tank for a betta. That betta lived almost 5 years! He outlived the marriage! I was absolutely devastated when i went on one morning and he had died during the night. I swore off the aquatics for a bit. Fast forward a few years and 4 kids later and its full force 4 tanks and a QT. :roll:

So how about you???

herefishy 04-19-2008 02:06 PM

My grandfather, my dad's dad, had numerous cement ponds in the yard's flower gardens. Every winter, my brothers and I would catch the fish so he could put the koi, goldfish and moors inside for the winter. He bought me a steel framed 10g tank when I was 8 or 9 years old. I bought my first "big" tank, a 29g when I was 11 years old. My very first fish were a calico oranda and a black moor. The 10g was also my very first planted tank. It had "tons" of anachris(elodea). The year was 1962, although it may have been the Christmas of 1961.

Busgod 04-19-2008 03:03 PM

We bought a beta for our daughter she loved it (so did my wife and I) then we got up one morning and the power had gone out and he was dead to say the girl cried is putting it lightly. so we bought a 10gal tank and got her a oranda he out grew it really fast. the next door neighbor was moving and asked her if she wanted there 44gal tank of course she pestered us till we said yes. next thing we knew we had tanks everywhere now we have 4 tanks 20 gal to 55 gal and want more ( please send cure to my e-mail ) :omg:

Fishcricker 04-19-2008 03:51 PM

:D My MOM set up a 5 gal with (you guessed it) Guppies when I was about 8. That was 47 years ago!!! I never did loose the BUG!! I have had tanks off and on since as life would dictate that I could have them. Had 5 going at one time from 5 gal ( my son's) to 55 gal. Even when I didn't have tanks, I still loved to to go LFS just to look.
I started again about 5 years ago with a 2.5 betta tank. Just this March I did a planted 55 gal. I told my Husband then that it was like a smoker with cigs. You just can't have 1 !!
Well, guess what. He liked the 55 so much he said he would like to take over that one ( I will be doing the maintenance LOL) so I could get a larger one. We do not have the room to have anymore. SSSOOO there is a room expansion on the drawing board!!! Planning on adding on 10 x 16 to the living room. He is in the process now of upgrading the power to 200 amp service. He said we can't keep plugging in things ( lights, filters, heaters LOL) with the 100 amp service.

HELLO 125 Gallon. :D :D :D

okiemavis 04-19-2008 04:01 PM

My upstairs neighbor got a centerpiece from a bat mitzvah with two feeder goldfish in a little bowl...that was back when I was about 5. Anyway, she had a cat, so I took them. Looking back, they weren't very well cared for. They lived about 6 years in a 35G or so hex before they died (of ammonia poisoning I'm sure). But I sure did love them! They used to splash water at me when I opened the top to feed them...and they were always up at the front begging for food. I sure do know a lot more about fish now.

cajunmomof4 04-19-2008 09:09 PM

Okie that reminds me, not too long after we got the guppies I cried my eyes out for a goldfish. My mom finally gave in and took me to the fish store. Of course I picked the biggest comet I could find, and of course the poor thing didn't last more than a few weeks with the guppies in a 10 gallon with the old box filters. I remember waking up one morning to it gasping. My 6 year old brain figured he had eaten a guppy and choked. :?

iamntbatman 04-19-2008 11:14 PM

Mine is much more recent...

I was at Petsmart with my girlfriend getting some cat supplies or other and we decided it would be cool to have a betta. We didn't really know anything about fishkeeping at the time, so we just got a gallon bowl, some gravel, a little castle for him to hide in and the water conditioner and betta pellets. I did actually take good care of that fish, but unfortunately when I had to go out of town last summer, leaving him in my mom's charge apparently wasn't the best idea.

Then, my girlfriend suprised me and got me a ten gallon starter kit. I still didn't really know what I was doing so I stocked it with totally inappropriate fish (two rainbow sharks and two iridescent sharks). Soon after I got hooked on the hobby, reading up on things left and right on the internet. I returned my fish and stocked more wisely.

My girlfriend has since gotten into the hobby as well and keeps a few tanks. All our friends tell us we're unnaturally obsessed with tropical fish, but hey....it's a great hobby!

herefishy 04-20-2008 12:21 AM

Tell your friends :tease:

beetlebz 04-20-2008 12:38 AM

well said bob :lol:

my buddies girlfriend has a 55 with some goldfish in it, and a 40g with a turtle, and a 10g with guppies, and so on and so forth. I decided enough was enough and I was going to try it all by myself. soooo I went to walmart and got a 29g starter kit, and eventually i threw some neons and cories in there with 2 bala sharks. well of course the balas died, and eventually the neons did too.... sooooo back to the LFS. thanks to the forums here im a bit wiser ;) then again this was only last summer! my 29g will have been set up 1 year in july.... and I still cant get the damn thing fully cycled :evil:

but none the less, next came the 110g, then the 10g, then another 10g, now my 5g hex thats sitting next to me... its a sickness

cajunmomof4 04-20-2008 09:18 AM

Ack its so addicting!! And the lady at my LFS is like a pusher! haha I love her to death but really she sees me coming! I have 4 tanks now and I WANT at least another set up for Angels, maybe another Betta and oh yeah I have been researching puffers................ :greenyay: :BIGangel: