Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   buying Mandarin Dragonette question?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/buying-mandarin-dragonette-question-139673/)

GwenInNM 03-29-2013 08:42 AM

buying Mandarin Dragonette question??
 
I really want one of these fish, and do have lots of copepods etc in my live rock. I was shocked when I saw one on CL for $30 and tried to buy it. Long story, the person was a flake, and I ended up not getting it. Anyways, the chance of seeing one on CL again will be rare. I can order one at the LFS that is wild caught for $23 or get one that is captive bred for $75. I would of course rather pay $23, but I feel really guilty getting a wild caught one. I hear they are pretty over fished. What are others thoughts about this? I need help making a decision on this one. Thanks.

wake49 03-29-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1577017)
I really want one of these fish, and do have lots of copepods etc in my live rock. I was shocked when I saw one on CL for $30 and tried to buy it. Long story, the person was a flake, and I ended up not getting it. Anyways, the chance of seeing one on CL again will be rare. I can order one at the LFS that is wild caught for $23 or get one that is captive bred for $75. I would of course rather pay $23, but I feel really guilty getting a wild caught one. I hear they are pretty over fished. What are others thoughts about this? I need help making a decision on this one. Thanks.

I wasn't even aware that they captive bred these. I read articles that it was someday going to be possible, but never have seen them available.

Is there any other LFS that can offer a captive bred? The nice thing about having a captive bred is that I assume they can get them to eat prepared food, so they will have a much higher chance of living (if you consider that it may take three tries to have one live, maybe buying one @75 isn't that bad of a deal). And you will probably see a captive bred more. I had a pod eater in my 150, and I never saw him. He hid in the back and chowed on pods all day, lol!

What size is this tank again? How mature is it?

GwenInNM 03-29-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 1577233)
I wasn't even aware that they captive bred these. I read articles that it was someday going to be possible, but never have seen them available.

Is there any other LFS that can offer a captive bred? The nice thing about having a captive bred is that I assume they can get them to eat prepared food, so they will have a much higher chance of living (if you consider that it may take three tries to have one live, maybe buying one @75 isn't that bad of a deal). And you will probably see a captive bred more. I had a pod eater in my 150, and I never saw him. He hid in the back and chowed on pods all day, lol!

What size is this tank again? How mature is it?

Good point for captive bred. Hmmm. From this LFS said they do have someone who breeds them.

wake49 03-29-2013 02:21 PM

I had a Mandarin. Resilient fish if they eat. He survived in a 46, thrived in a 150. I thought I lost him until one night I was doing a top of when the lights changed and Voila! there he was in the sump! He must have jumped over the baffle, down the standpipe, and into the refugium! He was chowing on all the pods that nobody else could get to. It was one of the happiest days of my fishkeeping career...

GwenInNM 03-29-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 1579937)
I had a Mandarin. Resilient fish if they eat. He survived in a 46, thrived in a 150. I thought I lost him until one night I was doing a top of when the lights changed and Voila! there he was in the sump! He must have jumped over the baffle, down the standpipe, and into the refugium! He was chowing on all the pods that nobody else could get to. It was one of the happiest days of my fishkeeping career...

Awww. They are so cute. How risky is it that they might not eat? Odds? 50/50? I hope better. I don't want one to die on me if I take him from the ocean.

wake49 03-29-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1581281)
Awww. They are so cute. How risky is it that they might not eat? Odds? 50/50? I hope better. I don't want one to die on me if I take him from the ocean.

What size is this tank? How established is it? What are the other inhabitants?

GwenInNM 03-29-2013 08:31 PM

6 months. Lots of different pods, mysis shrimp I got LR rom est. tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 03-29-2013 08:37 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

wake49 03-30-2013 05:55 PM

What size (gallons) is it?

GwenInNM 03-30-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 1591761)
What size (gallons) is it?

75 gallons with a 15 gallon sump. Did some "redecorating" and had some casualities :-( Had my rock with my purple monitpora fall and break the coral, so I re-glued the broken piece. Completely lost my frag of birds nest. I saw it fall and, stupid me, didn't put it in a bowl of water until I could set again. Tore up as much as I was willing to, and never found it. Such a bummer. Overall, I like the re-arranging I did, so I guess, there are is some positive to it all.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2