Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   The 20 gallon reno fish ID and query (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/20-gallon-reno-fish-id-query-139538/)

JDM 03-28-2013 10:36 PM

The 20 gallon reno fish ID and query

Fish IDs from the office tank project:

5 Serpae Tetra
1 Oto Catfish, I am surprised it's alive given the high nitrate levels.
2 False Rummy Nose Tetra
1 Pepper Cory
The Common Pleco who has outgrown this tank a long time ago.

Surprisingly they are not a bad mix as far as water parameters go... it's a little hard and a little cold but no worse than other "working" environments.

The easiest would be to turn this into a species tank and up the Serpae Tetra to 15... pretty much the max load for the tank assuming lots of plants. Given those numbers I think that the larger shoal would be much more visually appealing than three or even four almost too small groups of fish... the chance for inter species compatibility goes down for every new group added and I think that the smaller each group is and the smaller the tank size the faster this drops.

I might consider starting with new fish altogether (store will probably take them all) but would love input as to what might be a good single species fish, colourful and/or shoaling tendencies. I have gone through and looked at pretty much every fish here and, with a single species, there are lots to choose from and few that I am familiar with.

Tank is a 20 gallon, medium to hard water (although I need to test the source as this may be artificially hard, 15dGH) neutral pH, temperature must be over 70F.

Other fish considerations, cannot be livebearing, plant eating or large enough to limit the numbers any lower than 10. Not looking for fish that do best as pairs or singles and nothing that is finicky to keep or nocturnal. It would be nice if they were small enough to be able to add shrimp to the tank... but that is secondary. They cannot be neon tetras.

Jeff.

jentralala 03-28-2013 11:20 PM

Water may be a bit on the hard side for them, so more research would be necessary, but what about threadfin rainbows? They're gorgeous IMO. More research necessary for water params specifically but I think they could work. Especially with lots of live plants, which I'm sure will be no problem for you ;)

I'm also a big fan of Harlequin Rasboras but I'm not sure how many could comfortably fit in a 20. They're a lot of fun, especially when they do their whole spawning routine :)

Why no neons? :p If not neons than how about cardinals? Hahaha.

JDM 03-29-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 1575385)
Water may be a bit on the hard side for them, so more research would be necessary, but what about threadfin rainbows? They're gorgeous IMO. More research necessary for water params specifically but I think they could work. Especially with lots of live plants, which I'm sure will be no problem for you ;)

I'm also a big fan of Harlequin Rasboras but I'm not sure how many could comfortably fit in a 20. They're a lot of fun, especially when they do their whole spawning routine :)

Why no neons? :p If not neons than how about cardinals? Hahaha.

Cardinals are for too soft of water... neons are just overdone.

The rainbow suggestion is good, I still need to test the source water. There were a lot of pH adjustment chemicals in the goodie box so I don't know what may have been going on. I don't plan on adjusting the water so I need to check that to be sure it is as hard as the tank was... something seems off with that.

Figures, the town lists all sorts of stuff on the water but not the hardness. It appears that they use chlorine still and not chloramine. I might guess it is due to the small size of the water system, only 9,000 population, so it keeps costs down.

Jeff.