Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Which Frozen Food? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/frozen-food-139234/)

FishyFishy89 03-28-2013 06:51 PM

Which Frozen Food?

Well, the frozen beef heart was too large for my Angel juveniles. I need something high in protein and smaller enough for them to consume. If it helps, they can consume frozen brine shrimp(which is what I have). I'd like another frozen product to give them.

• Krill
  • Plankton
  • Mosquito Larvae
  • Tubifex Worms
  • Daphina?

I added a question mark to daphina because I don't know what the packaging is at my store(looking at online selection). The other ones I've personally seen and like the packaging.

Thanks!

AndrewM21 03-28-2013 09:18 PM

Have you considered blood worms? When defrosted it's quite stringy and easy to consume by smaller fish. I feed my newborn peacocks thawed blood worms and they eat it with ease.

They have a lot of protein as well ;-)

FishyFishy89 03-28-2013 09:38 PM

I have freeze dried bloodworms. I've heard freeze dried can cause impaction, so I only feed it max three times a week.

AndrewM21 03-29-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 (Post 1573930)
I have freeze dried bloodworms. I've heard freeze dried can cause impaction, so I only feed it max three times a week.

I do not use Freeze dried, so I can not comment. I was referring to the frozen cubes ;-)

FishyFishy89 03-29-2013 08:12 PM

Well since I have them freeze dried I wasnt going to get them frozen. Trying to add a bit more variety in the meat category.

They're set with their veggies. I got lucky with them liking veggies ;)

AndrewM21 03-29-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 (Post 1583441)
Well since I have them freeze dried I wasnt going to get them frozen. Trying to add a bit more variety in the meat category.

They're set with their veggies. I got lucky with them liking veggies ;)

Makes perfect sense. Based on your list at the top I would go with Tubifex, as it is the only one I've used for fry in the past. Plankton might do fine as well, but I can not comment since I haven't used it.

Although "Variety" isn't necessary for optimal growth, they'll do just fine on a "set" diet of 1 or 2 foods. IE: Crushed flakes & Brine Shrimp.

Hope this helps.

FishyFishy89 03-29-2013 08:57 PM

Thanks.
I know they'll do fine on a set diet, but I'm sure they'd appreciate something different every now n then.

tlindsey 03-29-2013 09:44 PM

Which Frozen Food

I would use frozen blood worms, over the krill:-)

Byron 03-31-2013 07:36 PM

I'm not clear as to whether these are fry or just young fish?

If fry, newly hatched brine shrimp is good, and mix in some powdered flake that is well soaked and squirted into the shoal.

If young fish that can take "normal" foods, then frozen daphnia, bloodworms, shrimp, krill...whatever they will eat. But I would suggest weaning them onto prepared foods (flake and pellet) soon, as these are frankly more nutritious foods for all fish. The frozen has the "almost-live" aspect which is good for finicky fish, but there is always the danger they will refuse the prepared foods, and these are more nutritious.

Byron.

FishyFishy89 03-31-2013 08:00 PM

I said they're juveniles. All atleast a quarter sized.