Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Clown Loach Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/clown-loach-question-13907/)

willow 04-17-2008 10:59 AM

Clown Loach Question

i don't know if this has been asked befor,i couldn't see it.
How can you best avoid ich when introducing new clown loaches. ?

1077 04-17-2008 11:52 AM

Clown loaches are prone to ich .You may wish to closely inspect those you are contemplating on purchasing,I would also highly recomend quarantine tank. 10gal. would be sufficient and are rather cheap investment. Could keep rest of your fish from becoming infected. the ich cycle can be sped up with higher temp. :wink:

willow 04-17-2008 01:56 PM

thanks 1077 :)
i'll try and get a good look.

Gump 04-17-2008 06:27 PM

Minimize travel time if possible, do a very slow acclimation, leave the lights off in the tank for a few days, make sure there arn't any tank mates that are going to bother them while they settle in.

willow 04-18-2008 02:15 PM

thanks Gump :)

herefishy 04-18-2008 03:29 PM

Tank temperatures have much to do with preventing ich. Ich cannot survive at temps over 80-82 degrees Fahrenheit. That is why when treat an outbreak it is suggested raising the temperature of the tank. The white spots you see on your fish is just a stage which the parasite must go through to gain maturity. Take away any stage of the development and the parasite ceases to exist. It is not the fish, in this case the clown loach that has the disease, it is the tank.

beetlebz 04-19-2008 08:51 AM

a little bit of salt (im not sure if the loaches would have an issue with it) and tank temp up to 80-82 like HF said is what I do, and Ive never had a fatal out break (knock on wood).

actually, I left my tank at 79-80 degrees after the last outbreak, and the little bit of salt I used is long since gone with water changes, and I have not had a spot of it yet, and I have fish coming and going all the time.

willow 04-19-2008 01:36 PM

thanks guys. :)
i woud ike to add a couple of clown loaches,i would
just like to be totally prepared,it seems that my fish are fine,
and when i added the clown loaches last time i ended up
with a case of ICH.
i shall choose my stock wiseley,the shop i visited the other day
had a tank with ICH in it,the little puffer fish looked awful.

Busgod 04-19-2008 02:13 PM

They prefer to be in groups of atlest three tried two they never came out till i added the third now they all come out several time a day.

heard this form others also dont know why :D

1077 04-20-2008 01:37 AM

It is true clown loaches are prone to ich. my own therory as stated previously ,Is that most fish stores run same water through all of their tanks thus making parasites more easily transferred. A fish can be suffering from ich without the tell tale white spots. Clown loaches do NOT tolerate salt being a scaleless fish . It only stresses fish further. Water quality and temp. of 80 degrees along with proper maint and most tanks can remain ich free. Clown loaches can also become quite large and do best in small groups. Some can live 15 plus years. I would urge any one contemplating clown loaches to research them carefully (ie) water parameters, suggested tank size, and tank mates. :wink: