Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   i am also doing a very big move (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-am-also-doing-very-big-13850/)

mitcore 04-15-2008 02:33 AM

i am also doing a very big move

in 4mths but need some advice
i know that i will need air to the boxes but i am unsure on how long they can go without air, i am not to concern about a heater

i have a 4ft full of fish to move
a 3ft com tank full of fish
and the 3ft divded breeder to move ( i know that i wont be able to keep any fry alive if there any)
and the 55litr breeder again i know that fry wont survive
plus the platty tank,

my question is this
in the move if i keep most of the tank water i wont need to re-cycle the tank right

cheers all
cathy :(

PS, i thought id let you know some breeds i am moving
4ft comm tank
gouramis
angels
bristle noses
cory
skirts
rainbows
severums
3ft com tank
tetras
platties
neons
swords
bristle noses
corys
clouds
and then the platty tank is platties
and the other 2 tanks are angel breeding tanks
just as a note i have missed a fish or 2 on that list

cheers

Pasfur 04-15-2008 06:03 AM

More important than keeping water will be keeping the biofilters wet. Whatever you do, do not clean the filters or the gravel during your move. I would also resist the urge to replace filter pads.

I moved a fishroom of 11 aquariums to my new home some years ago. One big tip I can share with you is to use storage totes to transport your fish. I like the 14 gallon plastic totes. You can put water directly from your aquariums into the totes, along with plants and fish. Plus, they have lids!
When you arrive at your new location, you can even put your filtration on these totes and use them as temporary aquariums. I actually had a Porcupine Pufferfish which lived in a 14 gallon tote for over a month! I have used this method 2 times since then and find it to be the easiest method of moving an aquarium.

mitcore 04-15-2008 06:56 AM

thanks for the fast reply

i am not to sure what a tote is though?
is it a big plastic box like a storage box?

Pasfur 04-15-2008 09:50 PM

Yes, sorry. A big plastic storage box.

Amphitrite 04-16-2008 01:31 AM

Do you know how far you'll be moving in terms of distance? I would suggest trying to keep all the gravel and ornaments sumberged in old tank water if possible, and you may be able to keep some of the beneficial bacteria contained in them.

mitcore 04-17-2008 03:21 AM

1hr away by car,
i do have a generater i was thinking about running small air pumps in the boxes for air, and as for the re cycling i dont know????
help :(

Flashygrrl 04-17-2008 04:37 AM

Keeping the tank ornaments, gravel, and filter pads submerged along with keeping as much water as you can will either keep you from having to re-cycle or it won't be a bad one. How many trips can you make and how much room in the transport vehicle?

mitcore 04-23-2008 03:19 AM

not alot
i have cars but only 1 trailer,
i am a little concerned about it all and i am runnin out of time to try and work this out
i am worried i am going to lose half my stock in the trip

any help would be appreciated
thanks all