Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Good algea eating fish. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/good-algea-eating-fish-13837/)

tran2255 04-14-2008 06:43 PM

Good algea eating fish.

Hi guys, I'm just starting to get an algae problem in my tank that getting a lil out of hand. I just wanna noe what fish is good at eating algae, good with platies and gouramis, and isnt a pleco. I noe it a lot but its also a good chance for adding another fish to my tank. Thanks a lot for your help.

briggadane 04-14-2008 06:47 PM

Algae eater

Need to know your tank size and what fish(how many) are in it now.

Wouldnt hurt to tell us your pH either.

Shrimp,snails,SAE's....

Albert 04-14-2008 07:16 PM

how long has your tank been set up? Is it exposed to a lot of light? You should test for nitrates. We need a lot more info to give a good recommendation.

crazy4fish 04-14-2008 07:17 PM

snails! otos

tran2255 04-14-2008 07:27 PM

update.

Sorry for being so vague. Yes the tank has a lot of light, its right next to a window. Its a 55 gallon tank with 4 gouramis, 7 platies and 4 cories, no invert. As of now I keep the tank at 76-78 F. pH around 6.8-7.0. Nitrate at around 0-.25 ppm (mg/L). Theres also a little salt in the tank, just about 1 tbs per ten gallons. Hope thats enough info, thanks. :D

tran2255 04-14-2008 07:29 PM

Snails and otos? Never thought of them, Thanks!!!

Albert 04-14-2008 07:30 PM

snails though they look cool are less efficient. snails can go a little too far sometimes(eat everything and everyone).

Flashygrrl 04-14-2008 07:40 PM

Your tank being right next to the window sets you up for a lot of algae...snails or otos then since you can't exactly just pick up a 55 and move it, and shrimp don't seem to be very capable of cleaning tank sides (or mine are just lazy :) )

Albert 04-14-2008 08:02 PM

Well you probably shouldn't keep the lights on much. Thats not really enough nitrate to let the algae take over. The way u describe it, it seems in good care. I wouldent get catfish so much for your tank. You should come up with something to reduce the lighting anyway.

briggadane 04-14-2008 08:24 PM

Algae eaters

I too have my tank set up at a window. A 75G. I have "0"'s on all readings and a pH of 7.5ish.

I have pygmy cories, a choc pleco, 24 shrimp(red and ghost), 3 otos, a few(for now) freeloading ramshorn snails(they even climb into the hornwart to eat algae) and maylasians. I also have a Raphael cat and a Khuli loach, but they are seldom seen. All the others LOVE algae. So I do have some, but it stays under control.

And I find it a myth that SAE's or Otos harrass Discus. -Not sure what you are getting/have in your current tank.