Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Synodontis Eupterus/Cichlid compatibility (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/synodontis-eupterus-cichlid-compatibility-13831/)

meegosh 04-14-2008 10:34 AM

Synodontis Eupterus/Cichlid compatibility

Hey everyone,

I have a syno eupterus that is approx 3" long, not counting his tailfin. He is getting way to rambunctious for my 10gal community tank and I am considering giving it to my friend who has a 10gal with one lemon cichlid (approx 2" long) in it.

Will my syno be able to hold his own? I know that this particular cichlid is a fin nipper, the reason he's in his own tank. I know my syno has its nice tall dorsal fin that I'm sure the cichlid would love to nip at. Given sufficient hiding spots for him, would this be a problem?

Right now he loves a walmart cave that I bought him, spends most of his time in there upside down. I will probably give that to her just so he has a familiar hiding spot.

P.S. - This is only going to be temporary until I get my new (30-55g) tank up.

herefishy 04-14-2008 11:36 AM

I've got a large eupterus in a 300g mbuna tank. He more than holds his own. The leloupi will soon be outmatched, if not already.

meegosh 04-14-2008 11:40 AM

Perfect, I kind of figured he would be all right but I figured I would ask. Thanks for the quick reply, herefishy.

Lupin 04-14-2008 10:15 PM

I'd consider giving the syno to someone with a tank minimum of 55g. This fish is fast growing and demands more space than a 10g can accommodate.

meegosh 04-15-2008 09:02 AM

Yeah, I'm only giving it to her till I get my 55g setup and cycled. I figured it would be better off in a 10g tank with one lemon cichlid compared to... a 10g with 1 guppy, 2 diamond tetras, 4 neons, and 2 cories... :) That's why I added the P.S. in the original post... I knew someone would mention that.

meegosh 04-18-2008 10:18 AM

Well today is the big move for my syno... I'm giving to my friend to put in her 10gal with the one cichlid. If it gets to rowdy we are going to put it in her 20gal until my 55g is setup.

Any suggestions for catching this guy? I know I shouldn't use a net because of his dorsal fin. I was thinking about cutting some holes in a plastic bag, then putting the bag inside the net. I figured this way he won't get his fins stuck in the meshing. Is this a good idea?

I'm going to transport him in a plastic container. I learned this the hard way.. when I bought him his dorsal fin popped the plastic bag while I was walking up to pay for him.

herefishy 04-18-2008 10:21 AM

A small bucket. Just shoo him in.

meegosh 04-18-2008 11:10 AM

I was thinking the net just because I could snatch him easily from the top of the tank. I have him trained like my other fishies... when I stick my finger in the tank he comes up and nibbles. I was figuring just keep the net in the tank below him and raise it up once he's up top.

If that doesn't work I will try the bucket approach. I will probably just try the container he came in (small plastic dish bettas come in). Thanks for the advice herefishy!

meegosh 04-21-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
A small bucket. Just shoo him in.

You made that sound WAY easier than it really is. LOL! After 20 minutes of shooing, I gave up. I used a ziploc bag, cut the ziploc part off and made a few tiny slits at the bottom of the bag. Then I placed it inside the net, wrapping the edges of the bag around the net. It was a tight fit, I had to stretch the bag a little to get it over the last corner of the net.

Caught him within a few seconds and the ziploc kept his dorsal fin intact. Just wanted to share my success! :)

P.S. - He's already taken over the cichlids favorite hiding spot. He also spiked(raised his dorsal fin real fast into the side of him) the cichlid once when he tried nibbling on his dorsal fin. Now they stay in opposite sides of the tank.

okiemavis 04-21-2008 02:55 PM

Hehe- sounds like your friend is going to have fun with him. I'm glad he and the cichlid have reached an understanding lol.