Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   30g community aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/30g-community-aquarium-13827/)

Torn 04-14-2008 05:31 AM

30g community aquarium

Hello, complete beginner here. :D

I will be getting a 30 gallon tank soon and was wondering if my fish wishlist was suitable for this size aquarium and are also compatible with each other. I'll do a fishless cycle before I add anything and plan to have real plants.

1 Bristlenose Catfish
2 or 3 Dwarf Gourami
6 Neon Rainbow
6 Black Phantom Tetra

Any comments or suggestions if these fish aren't suitable would be great, thank you.

crazy4fish 04-14-2008 07:18 AM

i think that might be a little overstocked considering how much swimming space the rainbows need.

gouramis are territorial and many people say that they should be kept alone unless in a large tank. you might be able to keep 2 if its a male and female but 2 males would probably fight.

pash19 04-14-2008 07:32 AM

i have 6 gouramis 2 male 4 female and they get along fine, they may bicker once and awhile but other than that they're fine

Torn 04-14-2008 10:43 AM

Thanks for your opinions. So do you think it would be ok to have 1 male and 1 female Gourami and 4 Rainbows? Or is there another fish anyone can suggest to replace the Rainbows that might suit my tank better?

Cody 04-14-2008 10:48 AM

Neon Tetras? Cardinal Tetras? Rainbows need a lot of swimming space. How long is your tank?

The 1M 1F Gourami would be best. It may be hard to find a female DG though, as most sold are males, or females with a ton or hormones pumped into them.

Torn 04-14-2008 10:55 AM

It's 80cm long. I like cardinal tetras, if I got them instead then would 6 be ok?

Cody 04-14-2008 10:59 AM

Cards like being in big groups. Like 10+. You should be able to have 10. Your live plants will help them feel secure too. Be good wit Water Changes and it should be easy.

Or, you could ditch the Phantom tetras, and get 6 cories. That would look good. You would have every level covered with some sort of activity then.

Torn 04-14-2008 11:03 AM

Thanks very much, you've helped a lot! :P

New plan:

1 Bristlenose Catfish
2 Dwarf Gouramis
10 Cardinal Tetras
6 Corys, not sure what kind yet!

herefishy 04-14-2008 11:53 AM

Finding a female gourami may be a daunting task. Most lfs's only sell males because they are more colorful and sell faster. But, you may get fortunate to have an lfs that buys the assortment which includes females, generally.

Choose cardinal tetras over neons, as they are hardier and somewhat larger. The cardinals are also more colorful, show more red.

Be sure to add some wood in your layout for the bristlenose. Most exotic plecostomus' need wood in their diet.

Torn 04-14-2008 12:08 PM

Thanks herefishy, I'm going to get my new tank at the weekend so I'll have a look at what fish they stock then. If they don't have female Gouramis then I might have to buy online. It's a long way off yet anyway but I'm so excited!!