Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   mating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/mating-13808/)

terrencecooks 04-13-2008 07:19 PM

mating

how do i get my bettas to mate??? :?:

SST 04-13-2008 07:29 PM

Do a google search for more information. It's a complicated process to keep everyone healthy and to raise the fry. You can't just pop a female in the tank.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

halohelen 04-15-2008 01:35 PM

How do i get a female betta?

i cant find a female betta! i went to this golden aquriam place and they didnt have any. im still looking can someone help me?

Neo 04-15-2008 01:47 PM

I wouldnt advise getting a fish here( if you want a healthy one) but try wal-mart, they usually have female bettas, they're fins are shorter than the males, u will be able to tell a female when u see one, i reccomend getting a divider for your tank if you get one, to avoid the female being bullied to death, you will know when its time to mate, they will dance, as soon as they do what they have to do you should remove them from oneanother, i think i have given you the right info..

hope it helps

sillypony 04-17-2008 06:24 PM

walmarts fish are usually horribly unhealthy as well. At least, IME they are. Try aquabid.com if you are planning on breeding.

Also, keep in mind that if you breed, you will get 100(s) of fry, and in addition to all of the normal fry raising challenges, you'll have to have a different home/tank/section for EVERY male, for quite a while. (this means a LOT of water changes, and a lot of care and cleaning etc.)

Plus you will have to have homes for them all. Unlike some fish- like cories or schooling fish, they aren't as easy to just drop off at the local fish store.

good luck

Oldman47 04-20-2008 09:56 AM

Sillypony, you may be new to this but your advice to a potential betta breeder is right on the mark. Most people go into it thinking it would be fun to see the complex mating rituals and the parental care exercised by the male while tending his nest. They may even be interested to see how a combination of colors they have on hand will turn out. Often they are only vaguely aware of the care required and the real work involved in trying to bring a brood of bettas to a size where they can be sold.
Another often overlooked fact is that there is not enough demand for the more common bettas that a wholesale price will even pay the expenses of raising them. The advice to get a superior female from a good source, and a good male for that matter, gives a breeder a half a chance to break even if they don't need to pay for labor.

nicholas 04-26-2008 08:33 AM

Re: How do i get a female betta?

go to walmart