Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   New snail or invertabrate? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/new-snail-invertabrate-13807/)

Blaxicanlatino 04-13-2008 06:57 PM

New snail or invertabrate?

I want to put something interesting in my 10 gallon tank. It has 1 betta and will soon be housing 3 platys. What kind of snail should I put it? One that is easy to care for.

SST 04-13-2008 07:40 PM

apple snail, aka mystery snail. make sure it is labled Pomacea bridgesii as these are the smaller ones that will not eat all your plants. You can find more information about them here: www.applesnail.net.

I have one. Easy to care for. Now I want more!

Blaxicanlatino 04-14-2008 06:01 PM

Thanks, I read the website but Im kinda confused. I just a snail thats cheap, small, easy to care for and will NOT eat my plants.
What do you suggest?

Are they sensitive to ammonia and nitrite, nitrate ( dumb question)?

Lupin 04-14-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino
Thanks, I read the website but Im kinda confused. I just a snail thats cheap, small, easy to care for and will NOT eat my plants.
What do you suggest?

Are they sensitive to ammonia and nitrite, nitrate ( dumb question)?

They are as sensitive as the fish can be. Susan made it clear in her post the snail she suggested does not eat plants. They don't.

Blaxicanlatino 04-15-2008 11:07 AM

alright, thanks.

SST 04-16-2008 07:31 PM

The pomacea canaliculata (or cana for short) are another variety of apple snail. Canas get to be softball sized and devour plants. They'll tear up your tank in no time flat.

Apple snails are often called mystery snails. When you go to the LFS, the little sign will say "Mystery Snail" and then either pomacea bridgesii or pomacea canaliculata. Just make sure the one you're getting says bridgesii (or however it's spelled, can't remember right now -- brigs for short).

They like higher pH levels. Love eating soft veggies. Nuked or blanched broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, any veggies with a high calcuim content. I also put in calcuim tablets or weekend feeders for mine to eat. Others add liquid calcium to the tank periodically to help with shell growth.

Snails are really quite fun!

Just be warned, sometimes bettas don't like anyone in their space. I had my snail in my 5 gal. with my male betta, and the betta harassed the snail to the point that I had to move the snail. Kept the snail pinned in the corner of the tank. And sometimes bettas don't take notice of the snail at all. Just depends on their personality.

Keep us posted! I love to hear snail stories.

Albert 04-16-2008 08:16 PM

If you dont want to spend any money and have access to a nearby pond/lake etc.... find some pond snails or trapdoor snails and keep them in a bowl or something for a week the add them to your main tank. I have been successful with this.

okiemavis 04-16-2008 09:31 PM

Eeh, I'm not so into adding wild critters from my area into a tank, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone. Especially since you can get pond snails for free from your LFS. I always ask to grab a bunch out of my LFS tanks when I'm there cuz my puffer likes to munch on them and hey- free food! Plus, they've already been kept with fish so you know they don't have some weird toxins that will hurt the fish.

Blaxicanlatino 04-17-2008 12:32 PM

so i can just feed them algae wafers then?

okiemavis 04-17-2008 04:39 PM

Yup- they'll eat algae wafers, veggies, mine will even eat flake food if one floats down to them. It's pretty hard to stop them from eating anything lol