Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   A good starting thing for a 10 gallon salt tank? (fish only) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/good-starting-thing-10-gallon-salt-13796/)

resRfun 04-13-2008 09:04 AM

A good starting thing for a 10 gallon salt tank? (fish only)

My tank has been cycling for a total of 3 days now, and for the next 2 weeks im deciding what should I put in the tank? Its too small for alot of coral, so i guess it should be a fish only tank. Im willing to put in snails, shrimp and crabs too.

Are there any basic, easy starting "thing" i can put in my 10 gal salt tank?

Puffer 04-13-2008 10:53 AM

I would put in some small pieces of Live Rock.It will help out with your Filtration.

Carl.

resRfun 04-13-2008 12:19 PM

the guys at my local seaaquarium store told me i could wait a few weeks for the rocks.... but do i really have to?

And does coral only grow on live rock? or can it grow on some kind of resin decor that i have?

thanks

Cody 04-13-2008 01:00 PM

Corals too big for a 10G? Most softies can easily be kept in a 10G with the proper light. Check out MattD's old thread, and I plan on keeping a 10G reef. If anything gets too big, you can frag and sell.

Live rock helps a ton with filtration. It makes up 1/3 of your filtration. It also looks a lot better when you have LR. Yes, you can wait a few weeks, but in the end, it helps a lot.

resRfun 04-13-2008 01:08 PM

cool, that changes alot, i guess i might have some soft corals in my tank. Its been 4 days of cycling, would it be OK if i bought a few live rocks now and put em in?

Cody 04-13-2008 01:12 PM

Yes. It would help your cycle as well because you will most likely have some sort of die-off.

But, to house corals, you need good lighting. 10,000k with Actinic and Daylight lights, with at least 3 watts per gallon. More is better. I am having 9.6 watts per gallon on my 10G.

resRfun 04-13-2008 03:35 PM

hey just got some live rock, came with a couple small snails, and a couple wierdo 4 armed worm/starfish thing... I saw it crawling around my rocks.
Would it be bad to keep it there and let it grow? it is barely visible. approx 1cm-4cm long.

Is it a bad parasite? would crabs and shrimp find it?

There are also some little worms that are black and white.... they tend to stay onto one spot of the rock

Cody 04-13-2008 05:50 PM

You got some hitchhikers. :) Some are good, and others are bad. Most are good, though.

The snails should be good. There are, however, a couple of bad snails that wil leat corals.
The starfish thin you mentioned sounds like a Brittle Star. Long arms with "hairs" growing out? That would be fine. If it is something different, tell us. That will help clean up algea and other nasty things.
Little worms, and stays in one spot? Does it have a "flowery" appearence to it?

herefishy 04-13-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody
Corals too big for a 10G? Most softies can easily be kept in a 10G with the proper light. Check out MattD's old thread, and I plan on keeping a 10G reef. If anything gets too big, you can frag and sell.

Be careful, some corals are restricted. They can be sold with a license, but not otherwise. The may be traded or given away, however. Even an old FW guy like me, knows that. lol I believe that TFH once printed a list of those corals that are restricted along with those that are not legal to possess. I will try to find that list. I tried googling it and came up empty. Will keep trying there, too.

resRfun 04-13-2008 09:25 PM

UPDATE ****

Alright, most of the worms do stay in one spot, but ive seen only one with a flowery thingy on it. The worms that do not have the flowery thing but do stay in place are white and black.

Ive seen some kind of "scaly" purple snail, some black smooth ones, a small sea urchine in a crevice of one of the rocks, a sponge, some REALLY SMALL shrimp looking like things, some "centipede" things, a thing that looks like a rolly polly (fast, runs around, looks like it has armor, greyish brownish) and a worm that apparently got on the sand somehow....

Those are the things i have currently found in my batch of rocks, i wish i could take pictures of these, but my camera doesnt focus enough to catch them.

EDIT: and ive seen some other micro small things that do NOT look like shrimp...

thanks